Arrows and Front of Center

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Arrows and Front of Center

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Have any of you experimented with FOC? I'm wondering how much affect it has on arrow flight. My arrows are at 8% and I'm wondering if its worth all the work to get them closer to 11%.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Arrows and Front of Center

Post by JBird » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm

I've always been told 10-12% is ideal but if you're shooting well and the performance is what you want I wouldn't mess with it.

Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm not real happy with my arrow flight.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:56 pm

If your not real happy with what your shooting now, try a 11-13%. It may only take trying a 125 grain tip to bump you up. That might be a cheap way to see how you like it before buying new broadheads.
Watch your top knot!

Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks 9er. I actually have tried doing that and didn't help any. I believe that my arrows may be a little on the weak side. I'm shooting a 28.5" 340 spine arrow through a 70lb. hoyt spyder. I think that the extra 25 grains on the front of the arrow was compounding my weak arrow. What I ended up doing is switching from 4" vanes to 2" vanes. That reduced the weight on the back of the arrow by about 13 grains and stiffened the arrow a little. Brought my FOC up to 10.5 and I put a helical fletch on those 2" vanes...problem solved. I'm shooting much better, still think ill upgrade to a 300 spine arrow after this season is over but I'm much happier with my current setup. Appreciate the input.

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 pm

340 for a Hoyt Spider should be a proper spine. By taking weight off the nock end of the arrow you are actually weakening the spine as the more weight up front makes the spine weaker so by reducing the weight at the nock it has a similar effect as adding weight to the tip. FOC won't make a durastic change in flight patterns of your arrow but it will help the arrow track a bit better and fly down range a bit better. If you are having bad arrow flight I would check your rest to make sure it's dropping in time or make sure you have good clearance and that your bow is in tune. The arrow setup you have should fly fine out of that bow. That is if you have a 100gr tip.

Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am

Jayb22

You are right the 340 does work out of my bow but it is on the weak side. As for taking weight off the arrow, it actually stiffened it and the 2.5% change in FOC made all the difference, especially with broad heads. I went through an awful lot of troubleshooting and trial and error to determine my problem and it was all in the arrow. Thanks for the input.