Colorado Unit 61 Deer

Talk anything related to bowhunting
hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Colorado Unit 61 Deer

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:12 pm

So I know I'll draw Colorado archery deer this year in unit 61. I'm just wondering, is this the best archery unit in the state? I know CO has several GREAT archery units that produce year after year, and some of them are easy to draw, so maybe that changes what the "best" unit is for some people, but would unit 61 be reasonable to put up there as one of (if not THE) best deer units in the state?

Here's where this is coming from. I had 9 points in CO for deer. I know I wasted some to get this tag, but I just wanted the best archery tag I could get, even if I was losing points that could have gone to a more point-costly tag. Unit 61 seemed to require the most points, and it's accessible enough to Utah that I'll be able to do at least one scouting trip, so I put in. Having looked it up more and more it seems like the primary animal hunted in unit 61 is elk. In my experience, good elk units are not good deer units. This is starting to worry me about unit 61.

Any of you experts have anything to say about unit 61 and mule deer? Especially during archery season. Thanks!

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Re: Colorado Unit 61 Deer

Post by TheHardWay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:44 pm

I have a friend who runs an outfitting business in 61. They take several great bucks each year, mainly in rifle season though. But if they are there during rifle season, they should be around there somewhere in archery. As far as it being the 'best' unit, I don't know.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 am

I don't know much about unit 61 but I've been cruising around on Google Earth in West, South West Colorado and found some really good looking country. I later discovered it was inside 61 that I was looking at.
I would really like to go on a scouting trip with you this summer over there if the timing works out.
Sent me a PM if your interested.
There's always next year

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 pm

I'll for sure send you a PM Ridgetop, gimme a couple days though... TheHardWay, I've heard rifle is much better than archery in that unit :/ starting to worry me. It seems like there are plenty of bucks in there, but they aren't seen as often during archery season, which is so backwards from every other place I've hunted. It will be interesting to finally get some scouting in. If you able to get ANY details or tips from your outfitter buddy that would be GREATLY appreciated! haha. I hope I didn't blow 9 points on the wrong tag :s I just didn't have time to research this year so I put in for the archery unit that took the most points to draw :/ Scouting will be key Ridge, I might have to make a couple trips!

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:35 pm

You can always turn the tag in before the season starts and get your points reinstated if you decide you don't want to hunt 61. If I remember correctly, you can either get the points back, or a refund, but not both. It might not be an option of you, but I figure I'd throw it out there. Next time I talk to my buddy I'll pick his brain.

KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Post by KYLLYR » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 pm

hound_hunter,

Unit 61, as far as deer hunting goes, is much better during archery season then any other season. Especially if you can catch one of the big guys before he sheds his velvet. Is it the best unit for deer in Colorado, not by a long shot. Between the winter of 2007/2008, way to many predators, and all the elk the deer have had a tough time bouncing back.

If you would like to send me a PM and I can help with areas to check out.

Quinton

boots_down!
Fawn
Fawn

Post by boots_down! » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm

So I have been applying for a buck tag for 9 years and finally drew one this year for unti 61. The problem is I got stationed in Alabama and now Texas thanks to the Army. That means zero scouting has been done. I am on Google Earth looking around but I am not familiar with that unit. I am originally from Rifle and know that area pretty well. Any help on where to set up camp and areas that I should pay attention to would be appreciated.

02tritontr20
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 02tritontr20 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Well hound_hunter, how did your unit 61 hunt go?

arabella zoe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by arabella zoe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:46 pm

They take several great bucks each year, mainly in rifle season though. But if they are there during rifle season, they should be around there somewhere in archery. As far as it being the 'best' unit, I don't know.