CA Wild Hog Hunt (Pic)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

CA Wild Hog Hunt (Pic)

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 am

I was able to get away for a few days last week here in the Golden State and do some wild hog hunting. I got lucky, as the weather cooled a bit for the hunt so it wasn't too unbearable. I spotted this big ol' hog and was fortunate enough to sneak out in front of it and wait as it fed towards me. As rooted closer, I was able to arrow the 235 pound porker at 16 yards. Fifty yards later, it was down for good. Lots of good sausage this year.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CA Wild Hog Hunt (Pic)

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon May 26, 2014 9:52 am

Cool stuff Roy, that shot placement on purpose I assume to save meat?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 am

No, it was a frontal shot (staring me down). Usually don't take those shots on other critters, but they work very well on hogs at very close range. About a grapefruit size area to hit, which isn't too difficult at 16 yards. They die quickly with that hit.......and you don't have to worry about the armor sheath near the shoulder when they're broadside.

Pope & Young Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon May 26, 2014 10:57 am

Gotcha, certainly looks like you made short work of him. :)

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 pm

Great job Roy ! I've half heartedly checked into a trip across the border from Oregon. I always hear how much of a nuisance they are yet never find much info on places to hunt. I'm not looking for an area, just curious if you go to public ground and Chase them or pay a trespass fee?
One more question , how do they taste? Or better question , can you make regular bacon out of the wild ones ? Way to get it done with the stick and string AGAIN!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

killerbee wrote:Great job Roy ! I've half heartedly checked into a trip across the border from Oregon. I always hear how much of a nuisance they are yet never find much info on places to hunt. I'm not looking for an area, just curious if you go to public ground and Chase them or pay a trespass fee?
One more question , how do they taste? Or better question , can you make regular bacon out of the wild ones ? Way to get it done with the stick and string AGAIN!

I’m with Killerbee same questions here. I’ve thought of hunting Hogs but not sure it’s a public land hunt?
Got skunked with the draws this year & scrambling for something this fall!
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:15 pm

The meat is awesome. Not sure about bacon, as I got this hog made into sausage (breakfast & jalapeno) and some chops. Always good!

Almost all quality hog populations are on large tracts of private property. Some allow trespass fees to hunt them. The cattle ranch I hunted is 257,000 acres (Tejon Ranch).

Pope & Young Measurer