Looking for info on AZ

Talk anything related to bowhunting
chap_dog48
Fawn
Fawn

Looking for info on AZ

Post by chap_dog48 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:15 pm

An new member here on MuleyMad, I'm Kurt from CA. (sounds like a AA meeting intro) Starting my search for info on Javalina and Deer hunting in January or 2010 bow season. Trying to tap into info people could give to steer me in the right direction from their past experiences.
Thanks,

AzRednekRabbit
Spike
Spike

Re: Looking for info on AZ

Post by AzRednekRabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Archery deer is still open here until Feb. There are still some leftover pig tags for a few units for the beginning of 09 but I'm not sure about all the dates. I got one and my tag is for Feb. 6th. As far as hunts for next year, our archery deer is an OTC tag and the season runs from the end of August to mid September then it closed down until December and runs through the whole month of Jan. Elk tags have to be applied for by the tenth of next month and the hunts start in September. Lots of game here but it can be tough huntin' sometimes. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM.
Coyote Overkill Squad

Nah, you ain't gotta be born out in the sticks
With an F150 or a .30-06
Or have a bubba in the family tree
To get on down with me!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Arizona actually has three main archery deer seasons per year, Jan, Aug/Sept and December. If you purchase the OTC tag that is available, it will gain you access to most of the state South of the Grand Canyon at some time during the year, or perhaps multiple times especially the further South you go in the state. You don' tneed to commit to a season or unit on these OTC tags, you can hunt any open unit at any time of the year (as listed for the OTC archery hunts in the regulations) until you take a buck during that calendar year.

All Javelina tags must be drawn (for all practical purposes), but as was said above there are often leftover tags available first come first served by mail after the drawing. If you wish to hunt both species simultaneously, you must hunt in January and pretty much in the lower 2/3 of the state.
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

AzRednekRabbit
Spike
Spike

Post by AzRednekRabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:56 pm

That was informative even to me, and I live here. :thumb
Coyote Overkill Squad

Nah, you ain't gotta be born out in the sticks
With an F150 or a .30-06
Or have a bubba in the family tree