Paunsaugunt Archery Elk

Talk anything related to bowhunting
chansen13
Fawn
Fawn

Paunsaugunt Archery Elk

Post by chansen13 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:30 am

I drew a LE archery elk tag for the Paunsaugunt this year. I've read some stuff on here that's not too encouraging about the elk on that unit. Anyone have any positive experience hunting elk down there?? Thanks in advance for any advice!

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Paunsaugunt Archery Elk

Post by JBird » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:28 pm

I'll be hunting there for elk this fall too, only I have a muzzleloader tag. The Pauns isn't exactly the Monroe or the Dutton but there are a few elk running around. I've seen a few bulls and a couple are looking decent. I would spend most of my time around Tropic Resivior, in the northern edge of the unit.

mapleton archer
2 point
2 point

Post by mapleton archer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:25 pm

i hunted there last year for mule deer . ran into alot of elk . pm me i can get my map out and tell you where i saw all the elk.

Duckdude
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Duckdude » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:22 pm

I too hunted there for archery mulies last year and I saw quite a few elk. PM me and I'll let you know what I saw and where I they were.

DD

bjibber
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bjibber » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:49 pm

chansen13 wrote:I drew a LE archery elk tag for the Paunsaugunt this year. I've read some stuff on here that's not too encouraging about the elk on that unit. Anyone have any positive experience hunting elk down there?? Thanks in advance for any advice!
The elk numbers seem to be going down and the muleys are on the way back up. The elk are becoming very skittish there compared to previous years. There is a ton of pressure from the increase of ATVers and campers and the elk are not very vocal except at night. Your best bet is to hunt water and to hunt areas between water and bedding areas. You will also likely have to deal with prescribed burns that the forest service does every year there. To top it all off there is a big equestrian race/event down there the week before labor day that brings an increase of 100s of people and they are all out riding the logging roads and making the elk even more skittish. I can tell you where a few wallows are and bedding areas are. If you are interested you can PM me for more info. I have hunted there 5 times in the last 8 years between my tag and friends and family.

Stronghunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Stronghunter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:02 pm

I drew a premium elk tag this yr in the Pauntsigaunt. I have never been there and want to start heading there scouting. If anyone know a good area I can start looking please let me know. Strongexterior@gmail.com

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:50 pm

I'd stay up high around Tropic Res and then move south. The southern end of the unit is tough to bowhunt but not terrible if you have a rifle in your hands.