How critical is a spotting scope?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Re: How critical is a spotting scope?

Post by tx_packmule » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:54 pm

they keep miles off the boots and allow you to tell more than a pair of 10x binocs can at extended ranges. (Plus you can take pics through them without spooking the game with your phone and send them to your buddies who are stuck at work....like I do)

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm

To answer your question you need to determine how you hunt. If you spend a lot of time behind your glass and look for miles around you for animals then a good spotter will be invaluable to you. If you move around a lot, still hunt, etc. then you may find that a spotting scope just represents extra weight you have to pack around.

Also, do you hunt on foot or off of a horse or ATV? If you don't have to pack it personally it is nice to have around, but if you start adding 4+ pounds for a scope and tripod then packing it along with all your other gear may not seem like a necessity.

My personal opinion is if you are hunting high elevations with long views and are looking for a trophy animal then a spotter is an absolute necessity. You can find the deer with your binos, but if you need to know what your looking at before you take off after it you will definately want the extra magnification that a scope provides. If not, take it or leave it.

As far as brand...I have Vortex and have no complaints. The Nomad is a great entry scope that is light weight and compact. HD glass is great but it is also very heavy...I'll trade the incrimental improvements for less weight all day long. Keep in mind that your objective lense plays the biggest part in how much light you gather in early morning and late evening situations. My experience has also been that expensive glass does little for heat waves which generally become problematic at about 45 - 50x. Most scopes aren't real useful beyond there.

A good tripod is a necessity to. Needs to balance weight and sturdiness. A smooth swiveling head makes a big difference too.

If your interested in Vortex get a hold of Chris at VIP Optics...absolutely great guy and Vortex has a great warranty if you need it. I've had my scope and bino's for 2 years now with no issues.

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 am

I will second the recommendation on the Vortex Nomad. Let me say this....getting a scope will not find animals. I've noticed that people who are new to spotting scopes do not take the time to use it. They pack it all day but will not take the time to set it up and search. You must discipline yourself to sit down and look over an area for long oeriods sometimes. It really helps to go out with somebody who knows how to use one and can teach you. In my opinion a spotter, along with bino's, are the most important piece of equipment a Western hunter can have. fatrooster.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:01 pm

I bought a Vortex this year and really like it, bang for buck you can't go wrong with Vortex. I've always known that quality binos were a must but wasn't so sure I really needed a spotting scope now that I have one it makes me sick to think of what i've missed not having one. I looked at alot of scopes and agree with whats being posted about not going too cheap. Just like with binos save up until you can buy good glass, you'll regret it if you don't.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:14 pm

I just bought a Vortex Skyline 20-60-80 and absolutely love it (coming from a Leupold guy)
Camera Land has them onsale right now for $299 for the scope (straight scope only left) and $349 with tripod.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... texskyline
Shooter McGavin

BackPackerTX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BackPackerTX » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 am

I bought a Burris High Country 15X-45X before my 2008 hunt. It cost about 180.00 I did not think it was a bad scope for the money. It rode around under my seat from October 2008 till Sept 2010. During that time I used it periodically to glass whitetails and deer with a window mount. Last year on my mountain hunt it worked for the first 3 days then something happened causing it to fog up inside. I returned home a little ticked off. Should have saved and bought a good one. I did contact Burris/Steiner and sent it back. It was replaced in 2 weeks with a 20X-60X. I felt like they did as good a job as possible making it right but I was still stuck in the Antelope and Muley fields with a broken scope. Thank Goodness my Sgt. sold me some 10-42 SLC's at a good price before the hunt! :not-worthy

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm

From a person that used the H#LL out of my spotting scopes, to many hours to list, When hunting season came, it did go up to camp with me and most (not always) of the time it stayed in camp. The only place that I planned to take it was when I took people to “Dinosaur Back” a ridge that we would sit on and do a glass and stock from. As for the Brand go out and test as many as you can (not in the store take them out side and look) find one that you can spend hours looking though, if you have to squint to see anything, keep looking. Good luck

V/R
M. Bird

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I live in nevada where its wide open and a spotting scope for me is as important as my binoculars. On the other hand when I hunt the timber of Oregon for elk or deer I dont even pack a spotting scope. I would find out what the terrain is like in the area you are going to be hunting and decide from there whether you need a spotting scope. I use to use a leupold gold ring and it is a very easy scope to use and very forgiving on your eyes however now I have the swarvoski 65mm and the 80mm which are above and beyond anything I have ever looked through. Something to remember is you get what you pay for when you are purchasing optics. Hope this helps

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

vortex viper in your price range prob best bang for your buck

Milesaway
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Milesaway » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:13 pm

When it comes to equipment, don't cut corners. Every time I tried to save money on something, I ended up kicking myself. I have looked at the top spotting scopes including: Nikon ED, Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Vortex, etc. If you are looking for lightweight, go with the Swarovski, but you couldn't go wrong with any of the ones that I mentioned. I am currently using my Dad's old Bushnell Spacemaster II 60mm, but usually just use my nikon Monarch ATB 12x42 with a tripod mount. It really boils down to what type of hunting you will be doing, but a good scope can really help out.