243 good for muleys?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: 243 good for muleys?

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:29 pm

I look forward to hearing how things go. I hunted with a .243 until I was 21 years old and it always performed well for me.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

105Coues
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 105Coues » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

Nosler Accubonds would be my choice

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Heck yea!

Post by Pruneemac » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Ive killed dozens of deer with my .243
Your effective shooting range (I refuse to use "ethics" in this type of conversation as it is overused by those that dont practice, mostly archers) is the range that you can confidently hit the kill zone under HUNTING CONDITIONS! It is very important to define hunting conditions. they are not on a concrete shooting bench with 20 sand bags! they are using a bipod, back pack, rock, tree limb, sitting, kneeling, prone or other position (I hesitate to say standing as it is the least stable of all shooting positions).

I would rather move back 50 yards to a big rock or tree than take a shaky off hand shot. Back to your question.

The .243 with a good quality bullet (I shoot Barnes 80 & 85 gr) will kill any deer in North America. sight it in about 2.5-3" high at 100 and you are good to go out to 300 yds. But you have to practice at 300 yds. you will learn what your effective range is. maybe only 100 or 150 yds, but with practice under hunting conditions this will lengthen. Practice in real hunting situations. getting your bipod out and set up. how long does it take? shooting from sitting, kneeling, etc. alot of this can be practiced while plinking during the summer or varmint hunting.

Remember, shot placement is way more important than bullet size; and practice builds confidence in shot placement. the guy who buys a box of shells the week before season opens, goes to the range and shoots 3 rounds from a bench and declares himself ready is a fool.

I'll get off my soapbox now

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:02 am

Cool little cartridge. Every time I part with one,I end up replaceing it. Mine has been tied up between my 2 girls,and i want it back! Just kidding,their welcome to it as long as they need it. The deer here in PA don't put up much fuss after a 95gr Nosler passes through. I load the 95gr Nosler,100gr Hornady and 100gr Speer boat tail in ours. I want to try the 85gr barnes. I her it brings the 243 into it's own. One of the best things about the round in my older eyes, is it's handiness. It can be chambered in a rifle weighing next to nothing,and still be pleasant to opperate. My Mountain Guide is 7 1/2# field ready,and could be a pound lighter without being fly weight. Talk about an all day carry rig. I love it. None of the 4 243s I've owned was fussy about it's diet. Heck I'm using 7828 in this one with great results. There are lots of good propellants for it. Any of the medium burn rate powders will work fine.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm

the most important thing is that you are able to shoot the weapon. spend some (LOTS LOTS) of time shooting, site in at the range then learn how to shoot in different positions, shoot off your back pack while laying down, and lots of times.

I keep looking but i don't see that site in bench where i hunt.

Practice and more practice.

Get within 200yrds and that 243 will kill any deer

NewMexhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NewMexhunter » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:59 pm

I have a .243 Remington model 700 and it likes the Barnes 80 grain bullets just fine very accurate. have not been able to shoot a deer with it yet but its plenty for mulies.

slamdmini
Fawn
Fawn

Post by slamdmini » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:17 pm

my dad and i have killed lots of muleys with a .243. a well placed shot is the key to any big game hunting