Remington Sendero

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Remington Sendero

Post by waspocrew » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:20 pm

I was at Al's Sports in town the other day and noticed they had a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag and I was drooling the whole time. It's a slick looking rifle for sure! ... I know a few members on the forum have mentioned owning these rifles and I'm just curious about how the Sendero works as a hunting rifle? The concern for me is the weight of the rifle. I've only read great reviews about their awesome out of the box accuracy. I'd probably be looking at a 300 WM so I could load heavy bullets if I ever go on a moose or bear hunt. I'm just not sure if lugging that rifle around would be a killer or not. Basically I'd love to hear some field experience with the Sendero and what caliber you would recommend.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Remington Sendero

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am

I have had several Sendero's over the years including all the RUM calibers as well as a couple others. Bottom line is that these rifles are about as close to a cusom long range build that you can get without spending about twice as much as they cost. As far as for hunting, they are a bit heavy, but the balance is good and they are vey shootable from field positions. Because of the added weight, I would recommend getting a rifle in 300 RUM. I figure if you are going to carry a 10+ pound rifle, it might as well be worth it. My favorite is the 338 RUM, but this rifle has quite a bark and requires a muzzle break to shoot accurately(for me at least). My 300 RUM shoots MOA out to 800 yards any day I can shoot that well. My 338 RUM has shot sub MOA at 1000yds with 225 Nosler AB hunting bullets! In my experience, these rifles bring varmint accuracy to the big game world. With the big hole in the pipe, my 338 is not bad to pack at all. The only caliber that I might avoid would be the 7mm RUM. I know some guys that have had trouble with that cartridge being very finnicky.--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 pm

I just bought a practically new one in 264 Win Mag that I will be taking with me on my eastern Oregon mulie hunt this year. I haven't had time develop a load for it yet, so I can't speak for the true accuracy potential. I am just going to use the box of Nosler Custom ammo the guy threw in with the deal. I am used to packing around heavier rifles because there is something about extreme accuracy that intrigues me. Therefore, the weight of the gun isn't much of an issue for me personally.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:19 pm

They sound like awesome rifles... I wish I could shoot one before shelling out that kind of money on a new rifle! I'm sure all of us would haha. I'm still thinking pretty hard about adding one to my collection- maybe for my b-day in a couple months. Another question: what type of scopes are you running on your senderos? I've been thinking of a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44. Seems like some quality glass that I could possibly afford. Is that a good magnification for this rifle? I feel like a 3-9 wouldn't do it justice, but I could be wrong.

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm

It really depends on what kind of conditions you are shooting, and what you plan to use the rifle for. I put a VX3 4.5-14x50 LR on my 264 for medium to long range, and have a Vari-X III 8.5-24x50 LR on my 7mmSTW for longer range shots. It started out as a Sendero, but has had some work done to it in the barrel and trigger department.

donut slayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by donut slayer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Here is a target I shot while sighting in for hunting season a few years back. Didnt have a spotter so I'd fire 2 rounds then drive to the target. It was 500 yards measured with a leupold laser range finder. Remington Sendero, 270 Win and handloads.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm

That's an awesome group for sure! I'm pretty set on getting one- I just have to wait a bit, but I'm hoping it'll be in time for my late season cow elk hunt that starts after Thanksgiving. Hearing about accuracy and seeing the results make me even more excited about this rifle.

Hivner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hivner » Sun May 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Hey Guys,
I have been looking at a Remington Sendero as an alternative to having a custom gun built. I would like to hear some feed back from anybody that owns one. What do you like? Dislike? Where there any modifications that needed to be made? How is the accuracy? Are these rifles a good alternative to a custom rifle? Any input would be great.

kenneroids
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kenneroids » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm

I have this remington sendero SF II
with a heavy 26 inch barrel,sendero is built to squeeze as much velocity as possible out of flat-shooting cartridge for long accurate shots. ,the rifle is heavy with a scope it is going to weigh 10 pound or more but if youve got a short hike to your stand or dont mind humping a beefy rig,the serendero is ideal. One of the best guns for hunting today.