Kids and hunting?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Big Moose
Spike
Spike

Re: Kids and hunting?

Post by Big Moose » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am

Wow! That's awesome! Sounds like you are going to be very busy this fall! Good luck!
Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

mjensen1313
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mjensen1313 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 am

Congrats on the second tag, keep us posted on the hunt.
My 13 yr-old son has been going with me for the last couple years, this year will be his first year hunting. We both drew out for the Wasatch-West this year. Can't wait to fill our freezer!

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Well, an update from last fall before I go into the "luckiest kid alive" story for the upcoming year.
On Taylor's 12AE early deer hunt, we saw 85 bucks, and 5 of which were bigger than anything I have even taken. We hunted super hard for 9 days, and unfortunately could not put everything together. We had a blast, and she got a taste of what deer hunting can be like. Hiked a ton, glassed even more, and a rollercoaster of emotions. We came home empty handed and exhausted, but determined to do it again.

Then, on her elk hunt, we were after one specific bull. We had been watching him all summer and fall, and saw him the three morning prior to season opener. On the morning before opener, some jackhole drove into the meadow with no road and chased and spooked the bull and his 11 buddies off, never to be seen for the rest of the hunt. We hiked all over, looking everywhere we had seen him, glassing for days, hiking in in the dark, and back out in the dark. All to no avail. Another tag taken home unfilled after an exhausting hunt. Good times, and had some amazing experiences. Learned a lot too.

So onto her 2016 hunts. I got skunked for tags.....again.

My daughter's luck just keeps rolling.
in 2016, she has drawn a 7W cow elk hunt for middle of October.......and......a tag I have been putting in for, for 25+ years. She has beaten the odds, with only 1 BP, and drawn the 12AE Kaibab LATE rifle hunt. Unbelievable. This is my dream hunt, and I am so excited to be a part of this hunt with her. I hope to update this thread at the end of November with some pictures of a monster muley.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:01 pm

lancetkenyon wrote:Well, an update from last fall before I go into the "luckiest kid alive" story for the upcoming year.
On Taylor's 12AE early deer hunt, we saw 85 bucks, and 5 of which were bigger than anything I have even taken. We hunted super hard for 9 days, and unfortunately could not put everything together. We had a blast, and she got a taste of what deer hunting can be like. Hiked a ton, glassed even more, and a rollercoaster of emotions. We came home empty handed and exhausted, but determined to do it again.

Then, on her elk hunt, we were after one specific bull. We had been watching him all summer and fall, and saw him the three morning prior to season opener. On the morning before opener, some jackhole drove into the meadow with no road and chased and spooked the bull and his 11 buddies off, never to be seen for the rest of the hunt. We hiked all over, looking everywhere we had seen him, glassing for days, hiking in in the dark, and back out in the dark. All to no avail. Another tag taken home unfilled after an exhausting hunt. Good times, and had some amazing experiences. Learned a lot too.

So onto her 2016 hunts. I got skunked for tags.....again.

My daughter's luck just keeps rolling.
in 2016, she has drawn a 7W cow elk hunt for middle of October.......and......a tag I have been putting in for, for 25+ years. She has beaten the odds, with only 1 BP, and drawn the 12AE Kaibab LATE rifle hunt. Unbelievable. This is my dream hunt, and I am so excited to be a part of this hunt with her. I hope to update this thread at the end of November with some pictures of a monster muley.
I cant wait to hear your report. Be sure to fill us in.

I hunted down in az with my brother on his late elk tag and loved it down there. I should be in the running for an elk tag in 2017 and in another year or so a rut coues tag

Take care
Watch your top knot!

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:58 am

Taylor filled both of her tags this year. Such a trooper.
She smoked a big fat cow @ 75 yards in October.

And this past Saturday, she dropped a big mule deer @ 637 yards with one shot.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm

congrats on the success
what gun she shooting? 637 is a pretty good poke.
Watch your top knot!

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 pm

6.5 SLR pushing a 127 Barnes LRX @ 3020fps due to the area we were hunting requesting the use of non-lead ammo.
My normal loads are a 140 Berger HVLD @ 2950fps.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 am

Very cool congrats to your daughter.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:26 pm

Nice gun

I love the 6.5 lineup of guns. I also like the 140 vld, but have been considering trying the 143 eldx this winter and see if I can find the sweet spot
Watch your top knot!

lancetkenyon
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lancetkenyon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, my daughter Taylor, now 17, continued her hunting success again this year. That 6.5SLR is racking up the game for her.
Pronghorn in NM @ 391 yards, one and done. Never took a step.

Then, in November, she claimed the biggest deer in the household. 454 yards, one shot and done. Buck dropped at the shot without a twitch.