.25-06

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

.25-06

Post by ABert » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Just curious as to what ya'll would have picked out of the various manufactures that currently put something out in the venerable .25-06. Decided I REALLY needed a dedicated antelope rifle and really went back and forth between the .243 and the .25-06. Through comparing ballistics and a number of areas I decided on the .25-06, though it almost broke my heart as I really love the .243.

With that battle over the next choice was what manufacturer and what model? I looked at a number of them, along with a LOT of research. Short list came down to the Browning A Bolt, Remingtion 700, Winchester Model 70 and the Tikka T3. I dropped the Tikka early on as they only come with synthetic stocks and I like my furniture made out of wood.

I did look at the aftermarket for the Tikka and the only wood stocks out there, that I could find, were of the laminate variety. I have never been a fan of the way laminate stocks looked, though I must admit they are making them prettier these days. I just couldn't justify buying a new rifle with a stock I didn't want and spending more money on another stock I'd never be happy with.

So, with all of that, I did end up settling on my next purchase. I will admit one of the deciding factors was the amount of discount I would receive due to where I work. All three in the final round are very fine rifles, each more than capable of 500+ yards. I have already ordered it and have decided to top it off with a Vortex Viper HS LR in 4X16X44 with the V Plex reticle.

Out of the three models that are left, just curious what anyone on here would have chosen? Not too sure when it'll show up as the money has dissappeared the the bank account yet. I'll let ya'll know soon enough what I did choose and why.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: .25-06

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Out of those listed, I would have gone with the Browning simply given that I think they look the best in traditional wood. If you were after a stainless, I would have gone with the Remington in a LVSS or something similar. Personally, I think that the new Weatherby Vanguards look really sharp in the traditional wood and those shoot really good. I have on in blue/synthetic that shoots fantastic. I also have a Model 70 that has been customized and now shoots the 25-06AI......so, long story short, you really couldn't go wrong.--SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 am

The .25-06 is a great cartridge!

You've got your eyes set on some nice rifles. I own a Tikka T3 and it has been an excellent and accurate rifle. Scheels has quite a few of them in a wood stock/stainless barreled version that looks pretty slick.

Have you thought about a Browning X bolt? My .25-06 in the X Bolt Stainless Hunter. It took a lot of searching to find it, but I was finally able to snatch it with the help of a FFL friend. The X Bolt has a great trigger and looks just like a Browning should- beautiful. I wish I would have gone with the Stainless Stalker version though- I might tear up a bit when I scratch the stock for the first time! So far it's accounted for plenty of dead targets and one small Muley buck.
X-Bolt-Stainless-Hunter-MID-035233-m.jpg
X-Bolt-Stainless-Hunter-MID-035233-m.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 14910 times
Whatever you end up going with, I think you'll be plenty happy with the cartridge.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 am

P.S. You've got a sweet scope- I just bought the same one for my Sendero 7RM.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am

I'd have gone with the Winchester or Browning, my 25 is a model 70 and it's a great gun. The Vortex scope will be nice. I've used them a little bit and they are worth it.

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, my bank account hasn't been hit yet. Kind of odd hoping to find a company taking money out of your account lol

Like I said, the decision between the final three was a bit rough. I tossed over the idea of getting a "pretty" rifle but knowing this one would be used out in the field I went with the "field grade" version. Browning and Winchester had a better discount than Remington for me so I looked there first. Browning's rifles are all made by Mikoro in Japan, Winchester's being made in South Carolina by FN Herstal. FN Herstal owns both companies.

Winchester made 50th anniversary rifles for Cabela's a couple of years ago, all to pre-64 specs. Through very little research I found that most, if not all, rifles being made today under the Winchester name are to pre-64 specs. Once I found this little nugget of information out the search got much easier.

Three of the best bolt actions ever made were, in no particular order, the Mauser, the Weatherby MK IV and the Winchester Model 70 (pre-64). Somewhat sorry to say I didn't even look at the Weatherby.

So, deciding on the Winchester Model 70, next was which one? I like wood and blued steel. The obvious choices were the Featherweight or Sporter. I went with the Sporter due to the cheek weld on the stock and the longer 24" barrel. Next year, when I'm eligible again, I'm thinking of going with a Featherweight in .270 as I have somewhat promised to give my nephew my current Mod 70 Sporter (pre-64) in .270 sometime in the next few years.

I'll be sure to post up pics when I get it but not sure how long it'll be before I do some long range shooting with it. Just waiting to order the scope once Winchester takes my money.

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Pruneemac » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

How come you didnt look at the Savage?

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:Out of those listed, I would have gone with the Browning simply given that I think they look the best in traditional wood. If you were after a stainless, I would have gone with the Remington in a LVSS or something similar. Personally, I think that the new Weatherby Vanguards look really sharp in the traditional wood and those shoot really good. I have on in blue/synthetic that shoots fantastic. I also have a Model 70 that has been customized and now shoots the 25-06AI......so, long story short, you really couldn't go wrong.--SS
I just got a Weatherby Vangaurds S2 in a .308 and it's amazing. It is in a sythetic stock though. The S2 series gaurantees -1" MOA at 100 yards. I've read several reviews about this model and it's supposedly equivalent to the Tikka, but with a smaller price tag. I would definitely give Weatherby a look. If you're not shy about spending money, they have some higher-end models that are supposed to be "more accurate" than the S2 model. All I can say is that I'm happy with mine...

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Pruneemac wrote:How come you didnt look at the Savage?
I did look at Savage as I was REALLY interested in the AccuTrigger...

but the weight of them was enough cancel them out early on. I own a couple of other Savages/Stevens though!

Still haven't been hit for a payment and was told it could take up to six months. Right now I've got nothing but time to wait for it, just hate having a "payment" out there not knowing when it'll come due.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 pm

The money was deducted on Friday and the rifle should end up in the store tomorrow. Figure I should have it in my hands no later than Wed. Now off to order the scope! I'll get a pic or two up when I get it to the house.