New to Mule deer hunting

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
WV Elk
Fawn
Fawn

New to Mule deer hunting

Post by WV Elk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 pm

I have been hunting elk in gmu 54 in colorado third rifle season for several years now with a 75 % success rate. Next fall I will draw a second season mule deer tag. I know it is not a prime time to be chasing them but was looking for any info that may help improve my chances. I have never hunted mule deer but have encountered them while elk hunting. I will still do my 3rd season elk hunt. I am new to this site so just now getting the feel for it.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: New to Mule deer hunting

Post by M.Bird » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:09 pm

if you have encountered them while elk hunting> are they the size and quality that you are looking for?
if they are: then go hunt them in the area where you have seen them
As for prime time to hunt muley: let me know when you find it-- I killed them all seasons in colo and all time of the day

you have good knowledge of the area don't second guess yourself

02tritontr20
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 02tritontr20 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:39 pm

I have hunted Colorado several times and I agree with M.Bird. I love the late season because you can hunt all day long and can expect to see muleys at any time. I have never elk hunted, but I would really like to do it in Colorado. Based on your post I will be checking into unit 54. Good luck with your hunt!

Grayson
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Grayson » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:30 am

Seventh, tracks are always the main focus in a new hunting area. If tracks are there, deer are there. Follow them. If they are going down, move down. If they point up, go up. Once you’ve found the level the game is on, stay there and hunt hard.