Lapping a barrel

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

Lapping a barrel

Post by ABert » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Just curious if anyone has ever had a barrel lapped before? From doing a little bit of research and a lot of reading, this works very well for a new barrel but won't really help a fairly used barrel. I've found a place that does but don't know if the results are going to be worth the cost. This will be one a new rifle that I've yet to put a round through yet I really, REALLY want sub-moa for the distances I plan on shooting.

Just looking for results from those who have done it. And, yes, I realize I should put a few rounds down range to see how she shoots straight out of the box. Still waiting on the wife to quit spending money so I can get my scope! lol
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Lapping a barrel

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 pm

I've done it.....can't swear that it made much difference. I really like the fire lapping kit from David Tubb, it seems to help prevent fouling. I think that a good break-in process is your best bet. I shoot and clean every shot for 20, then clean after evey 5 for 50 as I work up loads. Once again, I think this helps to prevent fouling which can help with accuracy and saves a lot of time and cleaning supplies. In my experience, bedding will be the key to your rifle shooting and maintaining MOA. Save the money you would spend lapping and put it toward a good free-floating, glass bedding job. The trigger is very important as well. After that I would say that good scope mounts and quality handloads should round out your sub-MOA checklist.------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:44 pm

I've already decided on doing the bedding and trigger jobs and think I'll go ahead and get the barrel lapped, too. Just heard back from my gunsmith and the lapping job will only run about $40-50. I'll spend more on that just shooting it in plus the cost of cleaning supplies. Thanks for the reply SS!

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:01 pm

never done that before
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Let me know the results
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

Russilwest
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Russilwest » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 am

My father has done some gun smithing work for several years but he has no experience lapping barrels. I would like to know if it is beneficial, are there different ways of doing it and how to go by doing it. My father said he would give me all the help he could.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Forgot all about this post!
Since I first posted this, I ended up getting my Win Mod70 .25-06 cold lapped along with another Mod 70 in .270, both new and unshot. I can't say whether it helped with accuracy but I do have sub-MOA on both rifles and it does really make clean up much easier.