Winchester Model 70 Shadow Hunter questions

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
papabearxx
Fawn
Fawn

Winchester Model 70 Shadow Hunter questions

Post by papabearxx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions for those of you with more knowledge than me. I just picked up a Winchester Model 70 shadow hunter in .325wsm for a very good deal. After getting it home and inspecting it I noticed how cheep and flimsy the stock is. The barrel is free floated but you can flex the forearm a considerable amount. So I decided I will buy a Bell and Carlson Medalist to replace it. The problem is that with the shadow hunter there is no floor plate. It has three screws that hold that action to the stock. But only the trigger guard comes off. My first question is: Can I go to a one piece aftermarket floor plate that only has two screws? Or will the lack of the use of the third screw be a problem? My second question: The trigger on this rifle is terrible. Should I go with a Timney, Jewell, etc or should I have my gun smith rework the factory trigger? I have had problems in the past withTimney triggers in Model 70's. I hope I posted this in the right area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Winchester Model 70 Shadow Hunter questions

Post by waspocrew » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't really have experience with the Model 70, but I'm sure you can pick up a hinged floor plate for your rifle. Does BC make a replacement stock without the floor plate? Are you stuck on getting one? Hopefully someone with some Model 70 experience can help out! Good luck!

papabearxx
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Winchester Model 70 Shadow Hunter questions

Post by papabearxx » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am not completely stuck on a BC stock. I have them on a couple of my other rifles and really like them. I cannot find any stocks for a model 70 without a floor plate. If anyone knows of any please let me know.