ruger american rifle .308 best ammo?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
antlerking90
Fawn
Fawn

ruger american rifle .308 best ammo?

Post by antlerking90 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:03 am

I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308. The rifle has a 1/10 barrel twist. I have owned the rifle for a couple seasons now a love it. I had originally bought 100 rounds of 165 grn. Sierra Game Kings and reloaded them. The rifle shot the rounds excellent.

Now that I have ran out of the game kings I was wanting to go with a ballistic tip type bullet. I have read on one other forum that Hornady SST in 150 grn shoot good out of the rifle. I was wanting to get opinions from others who have shot this rifle and see what they think. Personally I figured due to the twist ratio, the 150 grn was to light.

I'm only hunting whitetail with this rifle(maybe a occasional shot at a coyote or bob cat) and my typical shot is 50 - 150 yards, with the possibility of a 150 - 220 yard shot at rare times.

thanks for any input!

jtaylorc
Fawn
Fawn

Re: ruger american rifle .308 best ammo?

Post by jtaylorc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Order a few different boxes and see how they shoot. The best way to see what shoots good is to take a trip to the range. I own two 308. rifles, one is a tikka and one is a marlin x7s. I prefer to shoot 150gr ammo do to less recoil and seem to shoot them better. Hornady SST ammo shoots great in everything i have shot, 3 different rifles. What kind of rifle do you own?
Cheap winchester soft point ammo shoots sub-moa in my marlin.

Constankane
Fawn
Fawn

Re: ruger american rifle .308 best ammo?

Post by Constankane » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Interesting. I would wonder why anyone would produce or anyone would buy a rifle that doesn't shoot one of the simplest, most functional bullets out there? My Ruger M77's in 7x57 and 7mmRem Mag shoot Core-Lokt's just fine. Whether you like them or not, they have been around for a long, long time and are a well proven game-getter. Shooting a Fusion bullet into a whitetail at 100 yards is akin to a hammer for flies. Effective, but overkill. The bullet at 100 yards will probably penetrate both sides without expanding, and that's just wasted energy. You want a bullet that stops inside the game and transfers ALL of it's energy to the target.