Help choosing a state to hunt mule deer.

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
02tritontr20
Fawn
Fawn

Help choosing a state to hunt mule deer.

Post by 02tritontr20 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a mule deer hunt for my buddy, his daughter, and me. It will be her first big hunting trip, so we want to make it a good one. We hear Utah gets really crowded. Can anyone give their opinion on that? My buddy and I have been to Colorado, but it has been 20+ years ago, so we aren't up on things there either. We are also considering Wyoming. If anyone can give me some input on where to go and the chances we can draw a tag I would really appreciate it. We will hunt public land and don't want a guide. Thanks, Brett

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help choosing a state to hunt mule deer.

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:24 pm

All states are crowded to some degree IMO, Utah might be the worst though. :) Having said that it doesn't mean you can't or won't get lucky and bag a nice buck. What state do you live in? All the states you have mentioned have excellent hunting for Mule Deer. So my opinion is YES Utah is crowded, but you can usually get an opportunity if you hunt hard enough.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

yes utah is crowed but so is every other state to some extent. Where are you coming from? are you looking for a 2015 hunt?
Watch your top knot!

02tritontr20
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 02tritontr20 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm from California, but didn't want to say that in my original post because I know a lot of people really dislike hunters from California. I will be moving out of California in a few years, but my job is keeping me hear for now. I don't want to be lumped in with the California stereotype. I guess I will take my chances and put in for a Utah tag. Thanks for the responses.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Tons of California hunters have killed great bucks in Utah in years past, not near as many these days obviously. But I've met several over the years and some have done very well.