Back from the hunt(s)

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

Back from the hunt(s)

Post by ABert » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Well, actually three hunt but only two that I left the house for and only two that I actually hunted. To make a long story short, I got my elk and my grandson got his first deer which was also his first ever animal. I didn't get the bull I was chasing but I did get a cow the following season. Processed her up yesterday with help from my cousin and it feels good to get some fresh elk in the freezer as we were down to scraps. No pics of the elk as I was by myself (another story) plus it was a cow.

Now, on to my grandson. Not a grueling hunt in the least, and marginal to call it a hunt. He drew a buck tag for private land in the unit in which we live. I saw a very nice (BIG body) buck strolling up our land, he grabbed the rifle and shot him off the back deck. Still, couldn't be more proud of him. Great shot placement, showed proper respect to the animal and field dressed and skinned the critter himself (with supervision, of course).

Now, he did go elk hunting and still will as his tag is good until the end of Dec. He also helped to pull out my nephew's buck that he got. For his first year of hunting he did get to experience pretty much every aspect of hunting, from the hunt to the freezer. We'll be making sausage on Sun out of his buck so he'll learn that part, too.

For those wondering on the firearms of choice, I hunted with my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight topped with a Swarovski 3X9X40 in .270 Win with 150 gr Win XP3's. My grandson, while hunting elk, used my Rem 700 topped with a Zeiss 3X9X40 using the same bullet. He took his deer with a Win Mod 94 in .32 Win Special with 165 gr Rem Core-Loks.

Now, let's see if I can get his picture up. The rack is a 4X2 with brow tines. Huge bodied buck that I would estimate close to or over 300 lbs. The rack has a lot of mass but weak on width and height. Still, pretty dang good for a kid's first buck!
resized.jpg
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Back from the hunt(s)

Post by JBird » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Haha very nice. We have a family cabin and we've always talked about getting lucky enough to fill a tag off the back porch. Good looking buck and he probably tastes pretty good as well. Congrats on a good season.

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm

We ended up with 100 lbs of sausage, 75 lbs of hot Italian and 25 lbs of breakfast, mixed 60/40 with pork. Even managed to save the backstrap and tender loins. I have to say the hot Italian turned out fantastic, yet to cook up any of the breakfast.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 pm

That is a true trophy first deer for your grand son. Great job guys.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks, Hiker. Long time, no hear...lol Glad to see you still check in now and then.