Ely Elk

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Ely Elk

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Hello Everyone. I have been visiting this site for maybe two seasons and think it and everyone on it are great. You get a real sense of community here(nice to be a hunter isn't it!?!) gotta say I'm partial to our kind of thinking and connot stand the new anti-hunting -while they suck down a greasy cheesburger-sentiment that's becomming far too common.
Anyway on to my question. I have finaly, after 7 years of nadda drew an elk tag for the ely, nv area(God is GOOOOOD I also got a muley tag in the same area!) We hunted this area 5 years ago for the early buck hunt and seen plenty of elk sign and heard 'em talkin quite a bit but was still wantin to ask the group what you know about the area(I live in mesquite) and if you have any tips. In NV if sucsessful you cannot put in for the draw for another 10 years so this will be 17 years of my life and I am trying everything to make it worth while. Thank you in advance and I hope that I meet many new friends on here. Thanks for having me!
JMH

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Ely Elk

Post by BIG R » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Which Ely area?

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 am

Area 111 east of McGill

natanddaveg
Fawn
Fawn

Post by natanddaveg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello Buckskin Bandit-
I have drawn both elk and mule deer tags in this zone. I believe the zones consist of 111-114, and 221 and 222. Sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't hunted in the 111/114 area. Our party has always hunted south of Ely. You go to Majors "place" or station and go south to the Mt. Grafton area. I believe the Hwy# is 95 or 93? We have hunted this area 5 different times and have been successful every time. The good ole govt. designated Mt. Grafton as a wilderness area two years ago, so motorized traffic is a no-go, but you still can access this area. Lot of big bulls up there. You will have to work for it but they can be had. Just for an idea, probably early October, a good time for a scouting trip, take that Hwy from Mesquite north toward Ely, when you get to the Mt. Grafton area, start glassing that ranch on the east side of the hwy. I can guarantee there will be alot of elk down there. Don't get me wrong, you can't hunt this ranch, but you will be able to gauge the caliber of bulls in this area. This whole area is called Lake Valley. To the west of Grafton is called Cave Valley. Sorry I couldn't give more info on your area but this area is definately worth a look. We will be Mule Deer hunting there this fall.

Later......

Dave G.

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Thanks Dave! Any info is great. I drew a mulie tag in the same area as well so I will be doing alot of the scouting then. We drew out there a couple years back and were sucsessful right above Cave Lake for deer and seen some elk and a TON of sign. Since the Tag is so hard to get I am doing all i can to get info and get prepared for it. Took 7 years to get drawn and of course the 10 year wait after(if you fill your tag!) so it's a biggie....ok any hunt is a biggie :)) I am skipping the bow hunt this year(I bow hunt in Utah) and concentrating on elk. Although I really wanna fill my deer tag it will be Scouting first and hunting second. I hear of alot of dead elk and nice ones from that area so I am pumped up. Any meat is good meat though! Thanks again and good luck on your hunt!!!! Maybe we'll see you on the mountian-I owe you a nice cold one.

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:24 pm

Thats a hard hunt lots of walking will be needed I had the best hunt of my life there... I love Ely I say the word Ely at least twice a day.
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.