Utahs general muzzleloader report

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Utahs general muzzleloader report

Post by ridgetop » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:11 pm

This has to be one of the best muzzleloader hunts ever. I do wish that it was about 20 degrees cooler. We were camping at about 8,000' and was wearing only t shirts the whole time, even well after dark. I was able to find about 90% of the bucks we scouted earlier this year. Everyone in our party got shots at big bucks. My good friend Paul(Idhunter) harvested a real nice looking 4x5 with a 3" cheater on one side after completing an 8 hour stock on it. Took 3 hours to close the gap from 330 yards to 160. My cousin John passed on a buck of a lifetime at 50 yards broadside to let a 12 year old boy shoot at it instead but the boy never did get a shot off.
Just got a call from my cousin John, he took his brother up to the same spot today and they shot a heavy 3x4 right out of the same bed that Pauls 4x5 was in the other day. I think we may have found a nice little honey hole. :thumb
How has everyone else been doing?
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Utahs general muzzleloader report

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:09 pm

WOW!! What a blast, look forward to some photos. :thumb

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Very very nice !! =D>

I could not find any of the bucks i saw this spring . I think the heat is kepping them down until after dark . ??? BUT my son was able to get his first buck and with a muzzy . Its a very small spike but being his first we are happy , WE had a very short hunt on 5 days in N. Utah and we only hunted 3 , so that didn't help . I have heard they MAY close the deer hunt in N.Utah for a few years to let the herds build back up . The area we hunt have a lot of deer but low elevation where the winters have not killed them off . Sadly all the foothills all along the east side of Cache valley are winter ranges and are covered with homes .Hyde Park wants annex property up Hyde aprk canyon and you watch , they will,build home even higher . :>/ They started feeding the deer two years ago and that winter it helped , but last winter nothing was done and i saw tons of winter kill in the foot hills . :>/ I saved the leave off my tree's and through them on the snow next to my home when the snow was bad . But we had very we takers last winter , its very sad the amount of country and so few deer .

my sons first buck !!
Itsa small buck , but a'' little'' bigger than the picture shows (just a little ) being he 's 6'6 tall .

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Tough hunt this year, I was the only one of five in my party to harvest this year. Spent four days hunting around Poison Mtn and the Henry's Fork on the North Slope and saw two dozen deer total. Two bucks total and one was in camp Thursday morning. We visited with DWR officials twice and they didn't seem to know where the deer were either. The weather was great for camping and fishing at Marsh Lake, but not great for getting the critters up and moving.
While we were out hiking we ran across an elk herd with a VERY respectable bull for an "Any Bull" unit. He stood broadside at about 80 yards to stare at us before following his cows. We also watched a big buck antelope chase a smaller buck away from his does. I think I now understand why antelope decoys come with a warning label! That buck meant business.
Here's to looking forward to next year!
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

I also had a tough hunt. This was my first time ever hunting with a muzzleloader and I did not get off to a good start. My work wouldn't let me off on Wed. and Thur. so my first day was Friady. I had a central region tag and hunted up on the face of Timp. We saw some does and one two point but not within range. The best part of the hunt was watching all the elk. Timp is in the Wasatch LE unit and we sat and watched a massive bull elk herding a bunch of cows. Being able to sit and listen to bulls bugle is a great experience. I didn't end up with a deer but we had a great time anyway. I'll probably try for the Central region tag again in 2011 if I don't draw a LE tag. Best of luck to everyone.