Scope or No Scope in Utah

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
Lunder
Spike
Spike

Scope or No Scope in Utah

Post by Lunder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Last year I hunted the muzzy with open sights and I'm thinking about getting a scope for the 2011 hunt. Right now I have the CVA Accura with open fiber optic sights and I've thought about getting a scope for it but in Utah you can only have a 1x scope. Just wondering everybody's thoughts about the 1x scopes. Good or bad? Thanks.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scope or No Scope in Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Good question I've only hunted with open sights, but struggled a bit myself with it. Thought about the exact question myself.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:29 pm

I shoot a T/C Triump.. and i switched to the open sights because the 1X scope was just super annoying. Something about seeing the end of your barrel through a scope isnt right IMP... Although ive heard good things about the red dot sights.

Thats just my 2 cents.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah that's crazy about seeing the barrel in the scope. I had never thought about that but was out at Cabelas over the weekend and the person behind the counter was telling me you could see the barrel. She also said a lot of times the crosshairs won't line up with the sight on the end of your barrel which would be another distraction.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if other hunters have opinions on this. I'm new to the forum and have loved reading all the hunting stories on here and seeing the pics. What a great resource!

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Call me old school or just an old fart, but I like only iron sights on my muzzy. I don't think any muzzy should every have any kind of scope on it.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:51 am

I have a red dot scope on my White 45. and I love it! I can drive tacks with that thing.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 pm

What brand is your red dot? I wouldn't mind trying one of those?

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I personally like the scope. I used a red dot and didn't like it to well. Felt huge on my Loader. If you plan on shoot out over a 100 yards, I'd stay with open sights. Over a 150 yards or more the sight covers up a lot of the deer and it's hard to pin point your shot. The Williams Peep sights do work well out to longer distances without the true glow sights.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm

I also wanted to tell you that I bought the Cabelas Pine Ridge scope. I think it's just a little over a 100 bucks, but it works really good for what it is. I wish they had a BDC 1x to buy.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

jarvis243
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jarvis243 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 pm

I was wondering the same thing about 4 years ago. I tried every 1x scope that i could find to see which one that i liked. It came down to the Nikon and the sightron. I ended up with the sightron and i love it. It tightened up my groups a lot. Here is how i see it. With the iron sights they work but for me I felt it covered more of the target than the crosshairs did in the scope. I finally was able to hunt with it this last september so i had a few years to shoot it and get used to it and i shot it quite a bit. I felt more comfortable shooting it beyond 100yds with the scope. I didn't with the iron sights. I dropped a nice 3x4 in his tracks a 150yds with so it seems to work for me so far. It is kind of weird seeing your barrel in your scope. lol My advice is to look through as many as you can (there really isn't a lot to choose from) and see which one works the best for you. I don't think that all 1x power scopes are the same.