Elk hunt in unit 55, Coloradl

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Elk hunt in unit 55, Coloradl

Post by deerhuntenokie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Guys
My hunting partner and I are trying to get ready to apply for the hunts in Co again this year. We have 7 deer points and have decided to bank another point hoping to get a better tag. We have 2 elk points and have considered a muzzleloader hunt in unit 55. Now I don't expect anyone to give up their honey hole but was wandering how the elk hunting in that unit was after the bad winter a couple years ago. Also, I have heard there is a lot of 4 wheeler riding goes on in that unit. How hard is it to find a place to spike in about 3 miles and get away from the pressure. How is the winter going so far this year. Here in Oklahoma we saw a temperature of 30 degrees below zero. That is un-heard of here. I think the blood was trying to freeze in my veins. any info would be appreciated..
deerhuntenokie

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Re: Elk hunt in unit 55, Coloradl

Post by Muley Stalker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 pm

You're right. The 4 wheelers will drive you nuts in that area. It will still be warm for ML season, so it will be crowded with non hunters.

It's a big area though. You should find some private spots. The elk will be really high for ML season. If you just want meat. A cow tag is easy to get.
Keep your nose in the wind.