First Colorado muzzy elk hunt

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
adamwipp
Fawn
Fawn

First Colorado muzzy elk hunt

Post by adamwipp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:53 am

I just read the post about ,( WELCOME TO MULEYMADNESS! As the various western states start releasing their respective draw results we tend to have a huge jump in membership on the site so I thought I'd throw this out there.)
I under stand that this is my first post and i did kind of what this post talks about. I have researched all the units in colorado that i could hunt muzzy hunt. I came up with a few units that looked good for me with 10 elk points! I narrowed it down to unit 66 and 67. I choose 67 because my dad, brother and me would have best odds of all drawing this unit. I have put in some research on this unit. I dont plane on just joining your forum and getting some info and leiving right away! I am a member of several hunting forums and look foward to being able to help out other people on this site. My dad hunted unit 61 elk during the 2009 muzzle loader. Hes been putting in for unit 2 for last 20 years, with no luck. So he saved up money for awhile and gave in and bought a land owners tag and hunted public land. He had great hunt and shot a 320 class elk. If any one has would like some info on this unit or unit 85 for mule deer I can help.

Original post :)

My brother,dad and i are planing on hunting unit 67 in the 2011 muzzle loader season. For my brother and me this will be are first elk hunt, my dad will be putting in for a mule deer tag , because he has 20 elk points, and is hoping to draw unit 2 this year or some time soon. My brother and me both have 10 elk points, and my dad has 6 deer points I'm looking for some info from any who has hunted this unit? I'm not looking for your secret spots, but if some one could point us in the right direction? We are not looking for a monster elk, we are just looking for some place that might have some higher numbers of elk! :) From the info ive gathered so far, im thinking the saw tooth- mtn. area. If any one has advise on places to camp, or or places to hunt it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any Info- Adam Wipperfurth
Madison, Wisconsin

Also i am looking for a good elk bullet for my 54 caliber inline muzzle loader? Keeping in mind the Colorados regulations, like sabots and other bullets are not legal.
Adam Wipperfurth,

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Re: First Colorado muzzy elk hunt

Post by Muley Stalker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 am

Why do you want to hunt the ML season? I live in and love Colorado, but I think the ML laws are stupid. I'm too old to use iron sights. It wouldn't be fair to the animal. I love muzzleloaders, and it's all i'll hunt with, but i'll never hunt in ML season. The elk/muley's are up too high, and it way to hot. It's a struggle to keep the meat cool. It's also hard to draw the tag, because everybody and their brother come here to hunt the season.

Hunt the later rifle seasons. The elk have come lower. It's much easier to get the tag, and you can use a scope and sabots. That moves your 100 yd range out to 200 yds with more accuracy.

That's what I do, and I can hunt using no points, and get one every year. I'm going to concentrate on Muley's from now on, but I could continue to get elk my way if I wanted too.

Something to think about.
Keep your nose in the wind.

adamwipp
Fawn
Fawn

Post by adamwipp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the input. The reason I want to hunt muzzle loader season, is because im hoping to hear some elk, and hit the rut. I am mainly a bow hunter, and plane on hunting in September in the future in otc units. I under stand that it maybe hot this time of year. So I have talked to a few ranchers in unit 67 that are willing to help pack out an elk for me, if I get lucky :) Thanks again for your post.

Adam Wipp
Adam Wipperfurth,

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Ok. Good luck.
Keep your nose in the wind.