Packing new heat this year!

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Packing new heat this year!

Post by FrontierGander » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Forgot to post this here!

But 2 weeks ago i had my new CVA Optima .50cal come in. I already have one, but i drew an out of state " NM " muzzle loading tag and so i wanted the thumbhole stock version and so i ordered it, set it up with a Konus Pro 3-10x44 scope and shes ready to go. Trigger breaks crisp and clean at 2lbs.

I really have been impressed with the thumbhole stock as most rifles tend to lift their barrels up in the air when fired off the knee, but this one handles is really darn good and puts the recoil straight back into your shoulder.

She shes 100 and 110gr Blackhorn209 equally well with the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts @ 100 yards. I need to stretch out to 200 yards and give her some burn before September 24th rolls by.

But here she is in all her beauty LOL.

My go to load of 110gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers, 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite, 3 shots @ 100 yards.

No trouble at all getting her to group right out of the box.
www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Packing new heat this year!

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 am

Awesome looking muzzy and great group! Keep up the good work with it and keep us posted on how it goes at 200.

Muzzleloaders are completely foreign to me. Even with all these new ones that I've heard are basically the same as a regular rifle, I just don't know anything about them. Seems like a fun time of year to hunt with a firearm though, I'm definitely going to have to get into sometime soon.

Keep the pics coming, along with any random muzzleloader info, no matter how basic ;)

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Thats a great looking gun for sure. With your grouping and that nice scope 200ys is a given!
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 am

Thats a shooter for sure
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Thats very interesting about the thumbhole version helps keep the recoil from lifting the gun. In the past I had never gotten a thumbhole stock because I could not think of any advantages to owning one. I'd never shot one and I figured it would be easier to carry a traditional stocked rifle while hunting and climbing around in the rocks. But now I will have to take another look at them. fatrooster.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:28 am

Awesome groups! I would love to get into muzzleloading sometime soon as well.

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:28 pm

The optima is a shooter. I got one last year and have extremely pleased with it. Good luck with it this year.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Very nice group. I've heard good things about the Optima, glad to see proof of it.

By way of thumbhole stocks, I'm a believer! I bought an TC Omega .50 cal with a thumb hole and have been very impressed with stability when shooting, regardless of position. Truly believe I shoot better with it because of the thumbhole.