*Blackhorn 209 prohibited in Utah*

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
El Matador
Fawn
Fawn

*Blackhorn 209 prohibited in Utah*

Post by El Matador » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Just a heads up for all the ML guys on here. This has been a subject of some debate since word got out that Blackhorn 209 is a nitrocellulose based powder. People who have called the DWR to find out if its legal have been told that it is not. From Sgt. Stacey Jones, "Blackhorn 209 is a nitrocellulose based smokeless powder, which cannot be used for hunting."

I understand that this topic will be discussed at this years RACs to determine if it should be made legal, but for now it is prohibited.

Now go buy some extra bore swabs and start practicing for the hunt!

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Re: *Blackhorn 209 prohibited in Utah*

Post by spoofman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

good to know, although i have not considered using it at this point still have lots of pyrodex to get through. heading out tonight to scout for the hunt myself. Wack em!

txhunter58
Fawn
Fawn

Post by txhunter58 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Looks like BH 209 will be legal next fall in Utah. At least that is the recommendation that is being promoted by RAC recommendations:

We recommend 3 rule changes to the big game rule R657-5
R657-5-10 Muzzleloaders
1(f) powder and bullet, or powder, sabot and bullet are not bonded together as one unit for
loading;
(g) is loaded with black powder or black powder substitute, which must not contain smokeless powder.
This change allows for the use of the product Blackhorn 209 that contains nitrocellulose
Studies show an average of 5% increase in velocity when comparing Blackhorn 209 with
traditional propellants
Blackhorn 209 is cleaner burning and would require less frequent cleaning of muzzleloader

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm

That only makes sense. Better velocity might make better kills...less wounded and if it is cleaner even better for accuracy.=====}

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm

I wonder why they consider it a "Primative weapon" anymore? (???)

Why not just let any gun that is larger than 35 cal., be legal for muzzy season, even if you don't have to load it down the barrel? The Muzzy's they use now days in Utah aren't much behind alot of rifles :>/

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

killerbee wrote:The Muzzy's they use now days in Utah aren't much behind alot of rifles :>/
There's some truth to that. However, powered scopes are illegal on muzzleloaders in Utah so that levels the playing field a bit and in their minds keeps it in the primitive weapon category.
I've never used Blackhorn, but after reading up on it I might spring for a bottle of it and give it a try once my supply of Pyrodex runs dry. I really like the convenience of pellets & I have only seen BH in loose powder form... any chance of getting that stuff in pellets?
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 am

derekp1999 wrote:
killerbee wrote:The Muzzy's they use now days in Utah aren't much behind alot of rifles :>/
There's some truth to that. However, powered scopes are illegal on muzzleloaders in Utah so that levels the playing field a bit and in their minds keeps it in the primitive weapon category.
I've never used Blackhorn, but after reading up on it I might spring for a bottle of it and give it a try once my supply of Pyrodex runs dry. I really like the convenience of pellets & I have only seen BH in loose powder form... any chance of getting that stuff in pellets?

Never.
Keep your nose in the wind.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Muley Stalker wrote:Never.
Ever?
Why not?
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Look at the powder, and you'll see it can't be compressed into a pellet.
Keep your nose in the wind.