Getting Ready For Muzzy!

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Getting Ready For Muzzy!

Post by waspocrew » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I'd been toying with the idea of trying the muzzleloader route for a long time and I decided to put in for muzzy tags as a way to "commit" myself to give it a go! I ended up drawing a deer tag and that was the green light I needed to go pick up a muzzy! After searching around for a while and reading reviews, I found a killer deal on Midwayusa.com on a CVA Optima. I've been impressed with the rifle since the day it showed up on my doorstep. The quick release breech plug really does make cleaning a breeze! I topped it with a Traditions 1x32 scope (from Amazon.com for $40) and it's done awesome so far!

Here she is:
cva.jpg
cva.jpg (34.22 KiB) Viewed 14174 times
I haven't had a lot of time to work up loads yet, but I've gotten great results with a 240 grain XTP in a green HCR sabot over 2-50 grain pellets of Triple 7. I'm thinking this load should be great for deer, but I'm up for more suggestions! Any other favorite loads that I should consider? Here's my first attempt at 100 yards with the above load. I was shooting off of sandbags and the shot in the red seems to be the "flyer" haha. The crosshairs really do cover a lot of the target at 100 and further.
cva2.jpg
cva2.jpg (39.65 KiB) Viewed 14174 times
I'm way excited for the season to come around! If you're looking at a new muzzy, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the CVA Optima.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Getting Ready For Muzzy!

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:50 pm

I'd say your load is just about perfect, just move those crosshairs down and left! I shoot something similar (250 gr Hornady SST, 100gr Pyrodex) and get a 3" group with open sights.

Give me your review on that scope... since I went ahead and got the muzzy elk tag, I'd be interested in increasing my accuracy & range a bit. I've been looking at it for a couple months now & like that it's under $50 (from Amazon, I think). Also, what did it cost you for rings and bases?
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Derek- I've been pretty happy with the Traditions scope. It's nothing too pretty, but it gets the job done. It's adjustments are 1/2" and it has a "fast focus" eye piece to allow for a pretty good focus. As far as the tunnel vision most complain of with a 1x scope, I've found that this has very little of that. I barely notice a difference between what is "normal" size and looking through it. The reticle also has a circle around the crosshair which I think makes it easy to acquire the target. For $40 or so, I am definitely happy with it and it seems to hold its zero well. If you want to check it out, you can go to Sportsmans in Riverdale and look it over.

The rings I bought were Durasight? If I remember right? I just went with what CVA recommended. It's a one piece ring/base set that was something around $20 or so. I had a coupon to CVA.com I used in the purchase so they might run a little more than that. They seem very sturdy.

If you shop around on the internet a bit, you may be able to find things a little cheaper than retail at most stores. For an intro muzzy scope, it works awesome!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

waspocrew wrote:If you want to check it out, you can go to Sportsman's in Riverdale and look it over.
Good to know, I didn't think that anyone locally carried it.

I looks like a sweet set-up you have there, good luck this season.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muley2NV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Muley2NV » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:29 pm

I hope you get a nice one!
Luck, Favors The Well Prepared