Muzzy Deer Hunt Advice

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Muzzy Deer Hunt Advice

Post by waspocrew » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:39 am

This upcoming season will be my first muzzleloader hunt ever... I've always just hunted the general season rifle hunts which are usually later in the the month of October. Can anyone offer some advice about what it's like to hunt deer in late Sept/early Oct? I imagine that I would most likely have to hunt higher than normal if the weather is still pretty hot or hope for some early cold weather to push them lower. Should I make hunting around water more of a priority? Totally new to this! Just for info, I'll be hunting the Cache unit.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Muzzy Deer Hunt Advice

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I have hunted the exact same areas and the exact same way for muzzleloader and rifle. The last few years have been so hot during the hunt that the majority of the action has been very early or very late. You could definitely sit on water midday, but that's when I get out and still hunt & see some new areas. The only difference is that there are fewer hunter's out there so there is less movement during off peak times... which is why I get out & still hunt instead of sit.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Muzzy Deer Hunt Advice

Post by waspocrew » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Derek! Unfortunately,I'll have class during the day, so my hunts will have to be either the mornings or evenings (with the exception of a Saturday)... I'll definitely have to get out and walk into new areas during the mid day hunts. I'm excited to see what will happen this season!