First Muzzy Hunt!

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

First Muzzy Hunt!

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I had a heck of a time on my first muzzy hunt! I had always wanted to try hunting with a muzzleloader so I put in for a tag and drew out. I didn't care to try to deal with the crowds of the rifle hunt again so I figured this would be a better route.

I decided to buy a CVA Optima for pretty cheap on midwayusa.com and slapped a Traditions 1x scope on it and found that it loves a 300 Grn SST over 2 Triple 7 pellets. Anyways, on to my hunt:

I had access to some land in the Cache unit and that is always full of loads of deer. I scouted around a few times and found a few nice bucks roaming around. Opening morning was busy with trucks driving the roads and fields surrounding the property I was on and the deer were on the move! A group of bucks came running in only to spot me trying to lay down for a prone shot. Bad move, and they were gone! I was sick to my stomach.

To make a long story shorter, over the course of the first 4 days I had a few shot opportunities that I ended up blowing. I missed a nice 3 point and a fork horn on the same day, so I headed out to the range to double check my zero. 3 shots later at 100 yards confirmed what I thought was wrong all along: I was the problem!! :oops: Apparently I still suffer from buck fever.
muzzyhunt4.jpg
muzzyhunt4.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
My wife came out for an evening hunt with me Friday evening and she had a blast! We were able to spot deer fairly easily and then use the lay of the land to stalk closer for a better look. At one point we were within 90 yards of a buck but he took off as I was settling in to take a shot. It was a great evening to get my wife out and she is really looking forward to going with me more often (hopefully that means I will get to hunt even more ;). She's even getting pretty good at spotting the deer now.

Fast forward to Monday morning. I figured this morning would be slow with it being the start of a new week. I got up to a good vantage point before sunrise so I could see anything that was moving in. It took a while, but I finally spotted deer moving up a finger towards me quite a ways off. As they dropped below sight, I made a move to close the distance. After a while, I looked ahead of me and saw a deer standing on a trail right ahead of me! A quick check confirmed that it had antlers! I ranged him at 94 yards and figured that I only had one more morning of hunting so I better take the chance. I steadied on him and heard a WHAP when the gun fired. I saw him bound away and out of sight, but I was sure I had hit him.

I walked to where he stood at the shot and saw this!
muzzyhunt1.jpg
muzzyhunt1.jpg (120.7 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
After a short tracking job (Maybe 50 yards) , I looked ahead to find him laying dead on the ground.
muzzyhunt2.jpg
muzzyhunt2.jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
The buck was quartering a bit and the bullet entered in his right shoulder and exited out of behind his last rib.
muzzyhunt3.jpg
muzzyhunt3.jpg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
I know he's a young buck, but man I am happy to fill the freezer this year. I thought muzzy hunting would be a lot easier than it turned out to be, but I feel like I really improved my hunting skills. He is going to taste great and I can't wait for next year to roll around! I think I may be hooked to hunting with a muzzleloader!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: First Muzzy Hunt!

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 am

Congrats, great little buck. He'll be tasty.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 am

Well done, congrats!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 pm

great job! the old saying" the trophy is in the eye of the beholder" comes to mind. If your happy, thats what counts!!

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Congrats on your buck!

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone! I was definitely happy to fill my tag - I'm still replaying the misses on a couple bigger bucks. I had a blast either way though! My FIL was able to purchase a left-over rifle tag for the same area so I'm hoping he can connect on one of the bigger boys that I had missed!