Terminal Performance

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Terminal Performance

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey all, lots of discussion about accuracy... how about a little discussion on terminal performance.
If you've ever recovered one of your bullets let see it.
I currently shoot the Hornady SST in 250gr & here's the only bullet that I've ever recovered, it's from a little spike that I shot in 2010 at about 30 yards. He was quartering sharply away & the bullet passed thru the each of the last three ribs on the near side and thru the opposite shoulder blade and was a bump just under the skin at the front of the opposite shoulder. Deer dropped where it stood.
Side view (top), Bottom View (bottom)
Side view (top), Bottom View (bottom)
DSC07077.JPG (25.95 KiB) Viewed 12997 times
These are pretty gnarly when expanded, I wouldn't want it spinning thru my soft tissue that's for sure.
My first experience with this bullet was in 2009 and the little 3pt had an entry wound the size of a nickel behind the front shoulder and an exit wound the size of a softball behind the opposite shoulder. The buck hit the dirt so hard that he split his skull between the antlers (a little Gorilla Glue and a screw salvaged the mount of my first buck ever).
Last edited by derekp1999 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Terminal Performance

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I think thats an awesome idea for a thread... I wish I had a recovered bullet to post up! Your bullets sound like they can knock a deer of its feet pretty quick. I'd say that's the type of performance to look for!

midwesthunter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Terminal Performance

Post by midwesthunter » Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 pm

I had very different results from my results with the sst's. I shot a buck at 50 yards using 100 grains buckhorn 209. Through both shoulders it just barely bent the tip. I found bullet just under skin on opposite side. Will see if I can dig up pics of it. Similar experince with power belt with the tips. Now power belt hollow points were different story. Expanded very well. Now this last fall used dead center bullets. They also expand very well. Even took my MI at 268 yards and buck was dead in 50 yards. IN buck was only 45 yards shot and went about 45 yards.