Hunts for 2009

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
9er
Monster
Monster

Re: Hunts for 2009

Post by 9er » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:51 pm

cwp wrote:
DeadI wrote:I plan on drawing another Wasatch LE Elk tag from the Expo [-o< :thumb
If you draw another tag I'll come put a pile of dog sh!# on your back porch!

and leave some on the front porch!!!

9er
Watch your top knot!

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:05 pm

Come on Cory and Kollin, why you got to be like that. lol
Deadi

BowAddict
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BowAddict » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:07 am

hey man i can show u a velvet 3 anytime of the year
Bow Hunter

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:49 pm

hound_hunter wrote:I know i'm late (i'm 19 going on 20) but i'm gonna start building up my points for any state i can think i even might want to hunt someday, haha. This way in 5 years when i'm out of the Marines I can start to cash out 1 tag at a time while i'm trying to finish up school and hopefully will be able to get at least 1 good tag a year to keep the stress down and kind of as a present to myself each school year. So pitch me some Ideas guys!! I've got a couple points built up for colorado deer and elk then of course my utah stuff, but thats it. I would love to put in for Nevada (lots of family out there - none of them hunters but i could get them to go on that trip) but I heard you have to pay the full price of the tag rather than just purchase a 5-10 dollar preference or bonus point. is that true? Does anyone know any other states that are like that just for a heads up for me? Also are all the applications at one time of year? When is that time of year? I've been wanting to do this since high school but i swear i miss every stinkin draw every year ](*,)
You're never too late! In fact, I started hunting when I was 22 (I'm 31 now). Six years ago I started putting in for multiple states for the same reason you want to. I still can't afford the time and money to go on most of the hunts I apply for, but one day I will. When that time comes I'll be way ahead of the game because of the points I've built up.

Right now I apply in these states: Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, New Mexico, and Montana.

Here is how most work:

Idaho - You have to buy a nonrefundable license to apply (around $150 plus $7 an application). You can put in for Deer, Elk, and Antelope OR Moose OR Sheep OR Goat. Idaho does not have bonus points so the odds are pretty good for the OIL species. Applications for sheep, goat, and moose need to be postmarked by April 30. Applications for elk, deer, and antelope need to be postmarked by June5.

Wyoming - If you apply in Wyoming you have to submit the entire tag fee up front and then the bonus points cost $100 for sheep, $75 for moose, $50 for elk, $40 for deer, and $30 for antelope. Max for sheep and moose is pretty high so you are WAY behind and will likely not draw for decades. However, elk, deer, and antelope have max points of 3. If I were you I would get in now! The downside for you is that 75% of the tags go to max point holders. If you only want points you can apply separately for them in the fall without submitting the entire tag fee amount. The elk application is due Feb 26. Sheep and moose are due Feb 28. Deer and antelope are due Mar 15.

Arizona - You have to buy a nonrefundable license (around $150 + $7.50 per application). You also have to submit the entire tag fee when you apply. If your hope is to hunt some of the premier units (9 elk or the strip for deer) the laws will need to change. They have essentially become preference point areas for nonresidents. In my opinion, things will change, so build the points now. Even if they don't there are still good tags to be had in the lesser units. Elk and Antelope applications are due Feb 10. Deer, sheep, and buffalo are due Jun 10.

Nevada - You have to buy a nonrefundable license (I think around $150 + $10 per application.) In Nevada the points are squared for the draw. This means if you have zero points you get your name in the hat one time. If you have 2 points you get your name in the hat 5 times (2 x 2 plus 1). If you have 10 points you get your name in the hat 101 times (10 x 10 plus 1). The bottom line is you have a chance every year for the best units (unlike Arizona) but your odds get better with time. You also do not have to submit the entire tag fee up front. All applications are due Apr 21.

New Mexico - They do not have a bonus point system. You also don't have to put up the tag fee when you apply (this might change this year). Application fees are around $10 per species and you pay for the tag only if you draw. This is probably the cheapest state for a nonresident to apply in. All applications are due Apr 8 other than oryx which is due Feb 4.

Oregon - You have to buy a nonrefundable license (I think around $80 plus the application fee per species.) The only reason I apply here is in hopes of drawing a sheep tag or Columbia whitetail tag. I buy points for everything considering I already had to buy the license. All applications are due May 15.

Montana - In Montana you have to draw out on a general tag before you can apply for a limited entry tag (I think this is around $800 dollars for a deer/elk combo). Because of this I have never put in here. I will start this year because I'm now willing to go on a general hunt if I don't draw. The general deer and elk applications must be postmarked by Mar 15. Sheep, goat, and moose applications must be postmarked by May 1. Special deer, elk, and antelope applications must be postmarked by June 2.

Colorado - It looks like you already understand this state. Applications due Apr 1.

Utah - I assume you already understand this state as well. Applications due Feb 26.

I hope this information helps. My biggest advice is to apply for every state and species you can afford. If all you're applying for is bonus points you'd be suprised that it's not as expensive as most think. I put $50 a month away to pay for applications and points which nearly covers everything. Many people save money for vacations and to me this is no different. I'm investing in points now for the vacations I'll take in a few years.

If you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask!

fonzy6284
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fonzy6284 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 am

I'm new to this site and really enjoy it. I'm crazy about western big game hunting, especially mule deer. I book and guide hunters on the ranch where I work here in northeast WY. Tags are real easy to get and we have pretty good mule deer and antelope. If any of you are interested look us up at http://www.fourhorseoutfitters.com.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Ive put in for all my Utah tags now

OIL moose

LE Elk

Bear

Didnt draw turkey

Still in the Dedicated Hunter
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

Ride
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ride » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Wow, i find it very interesting since i found this site to see how your tag systems work south of the 49th parallel. There are still general seasons though on top of these draws right? Here in BC we have limited entry hunts for residents only that are for areas with good chances for harvest when you get a draw. Like, i can hunt moose all year, but only if i can find a two point. If i get a draw for a certain region then i can shoot any bull. Is it the same there? Very interesting.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Here in COlorado we usually do our tag draw selections this time in Feb so I put in for a bunch of stuff. Put in for first rifle (which is really a late like 3rd rifle) at 3Forks Ranch and three others on RFW draws just to accumulate points, but will probably have to do OTC bull when we dont draw for elk. Put in for second rifle in 55 and 35 for mulies but will probably end up with leftover leftover in 28 like last year( but we got the place and the deer and elk all figgered out now so 28 aint a bad last of the last choice). The draws are all after April 17 I think. Lotta darn typing, almost as bad as doing income taxes. Guess next month I'll buy my OTC spring gobb and put in for archery elk tag of some sort.

Good luck to all you other big game tag lotto players.

Maybe gas wont be 4.15 a gallon this fall.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sean_shotgun
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sean_shotgun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 pm

I ended up with a Cow Elk muzzleloader tag for area 51.

I was able to grab a leftover 2nd season rifle doe tag for area 38.

Cant complain for a newbie getting tags for the first time. My thoughts are to hunt close to home since I don't have a lot of time off from work and these areas are close enough to hunt on a day trip.

Would like to reverse the process next year and get a muzszleloader deer tag and a rifle elk tag. I think it will be just dumb luck if I get within a 100 yards from an elk.

Maybe next year I'll try for something with antlers.