Your Favorite Elk Calls and Why?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
DeadI

Re: Your Favorite Elk Calls and Why?

Post by DeadI » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:49 pm

I don't really have a favorite call. I personaly feel that it is more a matter of knowing how and when to use the calls that you have. If you buy an "Elk" call then it will more than likely call in an elk in the right situations. I have had calls that did not work for a particular bull, but as soon as I put it down and pick up a different call I would get a response.

In my opionion you can not have to many calls. In fact I carry about 5 calls every time I am out hunting. Never know when one will work and another doesn't. I like paking the hyper hot by primos, the sceery calls, open reeds, the cowgirl and the i makadabulls crazy call.
Deadi

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

So far, I've got a set of primos sonic domes with the instructional DVD on its way from ebay. I've got a screery cow call. I'm still looking at the hoochie mama verses some of the open reed mouth calls. Haven't decided on a grunt tube yet.

Thanks again for your opinions thus far.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 pm

During the Rut the Hyper lip single or double by primos is...... well primo, the hyperhot is great also. They don't work very well at all the rest of the year, the Sceery ace1 has been my steady eddy for a long time.

Just my two cents.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

ElkTalkOR
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ElkTalkOR » Sat May 08, 2010 11:17 am

I bugle with the primos blue reed bugles, and the mouth reeds for cow calls when the elk get hung up. When the rut is going full bore, nothing works better than a sleezy cow call. Last season call in severl bull with a slow rut using this method.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 pm

i personally do not like hoochie mamas. seems like every elk hunter has them and i can tell them when i hear them. Nt saying im a pro elk hunter but i just seem to be able to pick them out.ive had several times bugled been cow called back with one or just heard someon cow callin with one and almost new instantly it was a hoochie. i usually still check to make sure but ive had it happen 3 times that i was pretty sure it was a hoochie only to sneak in and see another hunter tootin a hoochie mama.
so i dont have any interest in using them. to me the diaphrams sound more real and different from each person.
this is just my opinion . im sure many people have had success with them but i just dont like them. and maybe thats why i never kill elk lol.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun May 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I carry a runt calf with me on a pack frame and twist its ear,you wouldnt believe the results! lol
Here is a pic of m GF with the call i just got her,we call it the screechin toddler..
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OcpNenFXVlE/Stu6T ... 5B7%5D.jpg

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon May 10, 2010 9:56 am

NONYA wrote:I carry a runt calf with me on a pack frame and twist its ear,you wouldnt believe the results! lol
Here is a pic of m GF with the call i just got her,we call it the screechin toddler..
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OcpNenFXVlE/Stu6T ... 5B7%5D.jpg
lol lol
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

i use diaphams, i dont care for the hoochie momma, i use a primos tube w/ a diapham or the E.L.K. power bugle head. besides mostly a diaphram, i do pack a hyperlip call for a totally different sound.

the only thing about a hoochie mama is EVERYONE IN THE WOODS USES THEM AND THEY ALL SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME.

but like was stated, its more important when/how to use them vs. what name brand :thumb

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

I also like diaphrams the best. I usually carry a couple different ones.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 am

They also have a hoochie baby now that is supposed to work real well when you mix the two.... Yes alot of people have the hoochie mama and yes they all sound the same but at the same time they work... I bet most hunters that have them and know how to use will agree
Aim Small Miss Small