When do you begin scouting for the new season?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

Re: When do you begin scouting for the new season?

Post by MTQUIVER » Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am

I start scouting as soon as there is some bone growing out of their heads. The sooner the better for me
Jason Yates
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com/
Go Bow or Go Home

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Actually went out last weekend to try to get into a place i have been lookin at here on the wasatch front. I was not able to make it all the way to the top cuz i ran into 2 feet of snow but give it a few weeks and i will have game cameras set up.. I agree the sooner the better
Aim Small Miss Small

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed May 05, 2010 8:39 pm

NEVER STOP

muleyslayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by muleyslayer » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 am

Here in Colorado I start first week of July. The snow is usually down and the antler growth is up also by then I know which tag I've drawn . If I draw AZ or NM tags I strart in mid August.

Muley

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Tue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

I scout year round. I follow them through the winter to see what makes it.
This year I actually went after their sheds with my daughter. Normally I don't wast my time with all the people. This was my daughters first shed of this year. We looked for this buck for about 7 hours before finding this one side. To say I was proud of her would be understatement.

I then give them a break for a month or so and start hitting the hills in June. lots of ground to cover and I am looking for something that stands out as a big buck early. i then don't pay much attention to him unless he is absolutely amazing and I keep looking for back up or better bucks until the season arrives.

while I'm hunting I'm keeping notes of decent bucks to check back on in the years to come.

It really never stops if you want something special!!!

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Post by numbnutz » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

NONYA wrote:NEVER STOP

+1. dont really stop
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 am

In Nevada our archery season starts August 1st so I will start hitting it really hard by the 4th of July. This gives me a good month to hit the spots I want to sheck out and see how the horn growth is this year. In this area the deer are always in the same area so the game plan is usually always the same

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 pm

If it's in country where the deer don't migrate, I go and look for sheds in April. I start scouting right after July 4th and don't sop till after the season. As Roy said, you can usually tell a buck's potential by mid July.

Good luck to all.

younggunner13
Fawn
Fawn

Post by younggunner13 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm

I start scouting shortly after the hunting season ends before any antlers drop so I can see if I can spot any of the deer I scouted or hunted still alive. Then I start scouting in June for this season

UvUBowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by UvUBowhunter » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:01 pm

i have had trouble when i go scout early. Whenever i do it doesnt help, it seems like if i do scout early and get to the spot where i have seen animals before the season started they are all at different spots when the season starts from the pressure from other hunters... we will see this year though. i went out and found some spots last weekend and plan to go out again this coming weekend. its just archery cow hunt but im going to try and hold out for a decent spike lol