Bear Spray

Talk anything related to predators.
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bear Spray

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 am

Good read here if interested on Bear Spray versus a gun...

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8699976

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Re: Bear Spray

Post by Buck Fever » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:16 am

Hope I dont have to use either to protect myself!! :thumb
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm guessing those that didn't use the spray but killed the 49 grizzlies around Yellowstone and another 23 around Glacier might not quite agree with this article. I've been sprayed more than a few times for training. Yes, it does tend to have an adverse affect on a person but we are required to complete a skills run AFTER being sprayed. There are a handful of people that are not affected in the least.

I can also draw my sidearm much quicker than I can a can of spray. I practice with a sidearm much more and only once a year with the spray. I can get a group of about 3" at 25m shooting fairly quickly but not so sure how far I can effectively shoot the spray. I always carry a sidearm when I'm hunting, usually a .22 but I'll carry my .45 when in bear country.

I agree that a rifle is not the best to use and would rather have a can of spray against a bear. But being as I have the choice of a sidearm or a can of spray I'll go with the sidearm. Also, if one has to spend a few days in the woods for whatever reason, a sidearm will aid in survival more than a can of spray. Just my humble opinion.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 am

I just love these articles; ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
in 600 case 72 times the spray was used properly, of that 90% of the time it stopped the bear (64.8 how do they get .8), What about all the other cases where it was not used properly and did not stop the animal? (???)

All you hikers in Utah, Wy, Mt, you need to carry some bear spray because it works on Grizzly Bears and Polar Bears (90% of studies involved these animals)

Bear encounters are more common and will continue. Any defense will work if it is deployed properly.
Don’t get me wrong, I think bear spray is a great thing, but to suggest this is the only way is foolish.

Of courses this article is tilted to the preservationists view :>/ , not the conservationist. The conservationist :not-worthy is the ones that have brought back the Grizzly, Elk, Antelope, Whitetail and many other non-game species.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 am

i have to agree, if in some situation where i'm really conserned about a threat on myself in the woods, i'm packing my Redhawk .44 mag! to put all your trust into something that you dont practice alot with is not smart IMO. and on top of all that , the odds are so increadably[sp??] low of anything happening if i forgot to pack my side arm on some trip, i still wouldn't worry about it.

sagebrush
Spike
Spike

Post by sagebrush » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:44 pm

since most bear attacks are of the " INSTANTLY IN YOUR FACE" types... I would suspect that EITHER would be a VERY good deterrant to doing NOTHING but making like a scratching post for a pissed off bear...