Oregon Gobbler Fun!

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Oregon Gobbler Fun!

Post by Tree Killer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:29 am

Was hoping for a break in the weather, so I headed over the mountain in a blowing snow storm this morning.

I arrived at dark thirty and wandered down to an area I've heard birds gobble on the roost in the past. I wasn't disappointed when I heard the first gobble at 5:20am I quickly moved in and set up within 75 yards of the bird. By 5:30 he was gobbling steady and I waited for more light before I gave him some soft sweet tree yelps. Several minutes later the bird went silent, and I thought to myself "it's way too early for flydown"? At 5:35 I about jumped out of my shorts when a gun blast shattered the pre-dawn silence. After the shot I heard pellets sprinkling down from the heavens. Somebody had snuck in and shot or shot at the bird in the tree! I yelled over and SUGGESTED that they should try and WAIT until the birds flydown before pulling the trigger. I didn't get a reply?

I left and went to another nearby ridge to get away from humanity. Before long I found some fresh sign and my attitude began to adjust.

I continued out the ridge calling into some likely looking turkey nooks. The fresh sign was getting fresher...

At around 7:30 I got a response from not one, but two birds! After setting up and working the birds and getting numerous replies, the birds went silent. I stayed put and continued to call now and then expecting them to come sneaking in quietly. After 15 minutes of the silent treatment I decided to move. I looped out onto a timbered side ridge and got a response from the birds. While I was thinking about whether to sit down there or close the gap, the birds gobbled several more times, getting closer. I sat down!

After maybe 5 minutes the birds had closed in and THUNDERED from across a little draw. I adjusted my muzzle to the zone I expected the birds to walk into. Almost like magic the two Tom's appeared out of nowhere at 23 yards. I was trying to decide which bird was the biggest when the bird on the right spotted the DSD and popped into a strut, decision made! I gave him a sharp cut with a mouth call to get his head back up and it was all over but the picture taking.

The cold had zapped my batteries, so I put them in my pocket to warm them up. I finally had enough juice for several quick pics...

When I got back to the truck I replaced the batteries and set up for more pics...

It was cold, windy, and snowing at times. But nothing like a little gobbling to warm things up on a fine SPRING day!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: Oregon Gobbler Fun!

Post by one hunting fool » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 am

Great story and thanks for the pictures. Congratulations
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. =D>
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Awesome story and photos! Looks like a great time and sounded even better, THANKS!

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for the story and pictures. Sounds like a good time. Congrats on your Bird.
Deadi

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 pm

awsome! man they are fun to hunt :thumb

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. Turkeys are so much fun to hunt, especially since it takes place in the spring. I guess I like it so much because they're like a 20# bull elk. The gobbling gets your adrenaline pumping like a big bull elk does with his bugling!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"