Utah turkey hunters

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Re: Utah turkey hunters

Post by proutdoors » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm confused. How can they be issuing too many turkey tags? They are increasing every year in numbers, and the designed purpose of the first turkey transplants 20+ years ago was to have OTC turkey hunting, you know like almost EVERY other state in the nation. They were NEVER intended to be a 'trophy' hunt nor a LE hunt. they were LE as to help increase the populations to desired numbers. Now that they are there, it makes no sense to keep the number of tags so restricted. A male turkey will only live 3-4 years in the wild, if you don't issue enough tags you are not helping the flocks, but you would be denying many hunters the opportunity to HUNT turkeys. I drew a Central Region tag last year, which had 700+ permits issued and was the third season. I had a blast, so much so that I applied for the same tag again this year, even though they doubled the number of tags for 2009 over 2008 for this hunt. Kudos to the DWR and the conservation groups like SFW and NWTF for making this possible!
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Re: Utah turkey hunters

Post by camodup » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

I was just saying theyre isuing too many up here in the north cuz there really isnt many turkeys. the flock i watched and the tom i got out of mine was one of 5 male turkeys, the other 12 were all hens. i guess thats a good thing but you still need toms to make more turkeys
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff