pluck a turkey

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

pluck a turkey

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:12 pm

who has ever plucked a Turkey? i am one that loves turkey skin but in all my life i have never plucked anything we usually skin our birds. but i will have to break the habit for my Turkey i get next month. but i need tips please
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Re: pluck a turkey

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 pm

They're actually pretty easy to pluck. There's not a lot of down like you see on ducks and geese.

With that said, I just fillet the breast meat now. These wild birds are nothing like the butterballs you buy in the store. They run and the drumsticks are tough. Really tough. And the wings are about the same. We're not going to eat the wings and drumsticks so why cook them?

I've even tried to save enough of the drumsticks to make soup or something, but by the time I get past all of the sinew there's not a lot of meat there. I know some guys like to eat them, but for us the breast meat is all we eat anymore.

Personal preference I suppose...
Hoyt

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:03 am

I skin my birds. I have not been able to pluck a turkey without tearing the skin.

As far as the drum sticks and wings go, I boil them and then add them to chilli made with 'Black Bear Darn Good chilli mix'. :thumb

In the past I have seen a plucking wheel that fits into a hand drill. Never saw one in action but would imagine that feathers would be flying every where.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 am

Get a BIG pot of water boiling and dip em in. Feathers come off pretty easy. Quils and all.
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm

kinzysdad wrote:Get a BIG pot of water boiling and dip em in. Feathers come off pretty easy. Quils and all.
where ya suppose to get one that big?
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Smith and Edwards. Use a 15-30 gallon metal drum. Just make dang sure you cook the glow in the dark hazmat "stuff" out first. Better yet, maybe if you leave it it will tenderize the wings and drumsticks. #-o

All kidding aside, when we were kids thats what my dad made us use for the turkeys he raised. We had one so big once, after it was cleaned and plucked we had to put it in a 55 gallon garbage bag to put him in the freezer. Those things were freakin mean.

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm

We used to use a #2 washtub. It would sit on all four burners on the stove and when it was boiling we would take it outside and dip the bird in it. That was years ago. We just skin them now and slice them thin and bread them and fry them. Also without the skin on you can smoke them with bacon covering the meat. My Mom always said if deer tasted as good as fried wild turkey there wouldn't be one left in the woods.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 am

I sometimes roast the whole bird. Works good to boil the water then put it into a larger container like a tub, plastic or metal, dip the turkey, swish it around until the feathers are sloppy and it will pick pretty good.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks guys these are all great ideas I will try them. Hey you all say that the drumsticks aren't any good on wild turkey but what about the thighs?

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:20 pm

I'll be honest with you, I have never killed or eated a wild turkey. If I get lucky enough to try it, I'll cook the whole bird and see how good or bad the eating is for myself