Garmin RINO GPS and 2-WAY Radios Are the 2-way radios good?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
heshen
2 point
2 point

Garmin RINO GPS and 2-WAY Radios Are the 2-way radios good?

Post by heshen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:18 pm

I am looking at getting a Garmin RINO GPS and 2-WAY Radio. I like the function of if your hunting partners have them also you can see where everyone is at on the gps in relation to one another. I was just wondering if the 2-way radios built in are comparable to that of just a usuall 2-way radio (like a motorola 8-mile range etc....) Right now I carry my GPS and a seperate radio. If you own or have used the RINOs what are your opinions? Any info. would be appreciated.

AmericanBwana
Spike
Spike

Post by AmericanBwana » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 am

I've used the Rino 110 for several years, and I'd have to say it is a love hate relationship.

The hate part, since this is really two devices it eats batteries twice as fast. Not a problem as long as you are aware of it.

Secondly, the GPS portion takes a while to lock into the satellites. Plus on this last trip it would look the lock for no apparent reason.

Third, like the FRS/GMRS radio, you need to be in the line of site to transmit and rx your location.

Now for the good part, they do work. I had a partner find me a few years ago by simply taking turns clicking the transmit button. He walked right up to me.

AB
Searchable Online Colorado Hunting Statistics
http://www.gmuresearch.com

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 am

I'm thinking about asking for the 130 Rhino for my birthday. Anyone have this model? What kind of batteries does it use? Are they rechargeable only or can you carry extras and swap them out in the field if necessary?

Thanks in advance.

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!