Best External frame backpack for the money?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Joe
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Best External frame backpack for the money?

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:10 am

Good morning Hiker. Yes Sir they come with a water bladder in the upper bag that has a hose that comes down the side of the frame, very easy to use. I cant speak for Killerbee, but here is what I do after killing an elk, say on a bivouac hunt where my pack weighs 18 pounds. After getting the elk meat hung in game bags to cool, my first trip back to my truck will be packing out my 18 pound pack along with the elk antlers, and I will also tie a small bag of meat on top of my pack to maximize the load. After reaching my truck and putting the meat in coolers with dry ice, I return to the kill site with just my packframe with the fanny pack attached on the bottom of the frame. From this point on, it will take you 3 trips of packing out the elk meat assuming that you are not packing out the hide or head. When I kill an elk, I completely bone the animal out on the spot, I see no point in packing out bones. I think it's important to leave your fanny pack on the frame because it not only gives leverage for the meat to sat on, but you never know if you will need the gear in your fanny pack. Headlamp, emergency blanket, matches, raingear, etc. Hope this helps you....Joe salxxute

wmm
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wmm » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:31 am

I'm about to make the jump as well. I have done some research and about to buy the Nimrod external frame. What I like about it is the weight, 4lbs. I plan to use it as a everyday pack. Most of my hunts are one day hunt but usually get 3-4 miles back, need to have the pack handy. Just curious.... Are you looking for a pack to take on trips or similar to what I'm looking for?

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Joe! It sounds like you have it figured out and that seems like the ticket.
wmm wrote:I'm about to make the jump as well. I have done some research and about to buy the Nimrod external frame. What I like about it is the weight, 4lbs. I plan to use it as a everyday pack. Most of my hunts are one day hunt but usually get 3-4 miles back, need to have the pack handy. Just curious.... Are you looking for a pack to take on trips or similar to what I'm looking for?
wmm, Thanks for responding. Yes I want to use it like you do, on day trips 3-4 miles in but I'm also wanting to use it for 3-5 day backpack hunts. My goal is to have one pack that I can use for all types of hunting and still be able to haul out the meat on a minimum number of trips. If I can save myself an extra 1,000 feet vertical climb and 3-4 miles each way / manuvering through, over and under down timber/ and other obstacles by having a little larger pack, that the route I'm looking to go.
Last edited by Hiker on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 pm

i have the regular, i think it's 3000, or 3500 cubic inches?? i think.... anyway i use just the frame when packing meat . it will hold what ever i want to carry! easily 1 hind or 2 fronts. more if you want to pack it :)) it is very tough. and also yes it does have a place for a bladder then the hose hooks to the shoulder strap with an easy bite tip to drink as much as you need. i personally dont use it in there so i'm not sure how many oz. it is but it seems to be pretty big.
a buddy of mine has the same one and he dont like strapping on the meat to a frame so he just stuffs what he want to carry in the main pack and off he goes. it washes right up for the next trip. but i use the frame

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:38 pm

I have used the Alaskan 1 for the past 8 years and have been very happy with it.(Both for backpacking and packing out meat) Last year my son bought me new Cabelas Extreme pack. I got to brake it in the fun way....lol if you call packing fun(@@) Both packs are great for packing gear and then adding meat!!
Attachments
Mark packing.JPG
Mark packing.JPG (178.21 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
cody packing.JPG
cody packing.JPG (116.42 KiB) Viewed 10084 times
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

wmm
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wmm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 am

I don't know about you hiker but the Cabelas extreme pack is starting to win over my vote. A lot of people, other forums too, are using this pack. I was going with Nimrod but no one has that frame, bad sign. Not to mention the cost with all the different options.

Buckmaster.... Nice pics. You might be a little nuts but nice pics:)

wmm
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wmm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:41 am

By the way.... this is why I need a new pack. Great for carrying equipment, out of luck if you get something down. Weight is horribly distributed.
Attachments
rdd 002b.jpg
rdd 002b.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 10065 times

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 am

Buckmaster, Nice! That's the real deal. Does your new Alaskan make any noise?

wmm, I would say you need a pack, was that the whole deer?
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 am

Hiker... Zero noise, I have had over 100lbs on my Alaskan frame alone, by the time I got out with the rear quarter I had bent the frame, 50lb to 80lb would be the max on these frames. I have also packed in(camp) with my gear and boned out a Mule deer and was able to place all the meet inside the main pocket, My son picked up the head and some of my gear and away we went...... Here is another pic of my youngest son, His first buck, so he got the honer of packing his trophy head out. (Smoke pole hunt)This is his Cabelas pack frame.......Very user friendly pack system!! :thumb
Attachments
landons buck.JPG
landons buck.JPG (147.96 KiB) Viewed 10047 times
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

wmm
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wmm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Hiker.... Just about. Both front shoulder were pretty messy, other than that, it's the whole thing and some gear. Notice how high the waiste belt is, basically does nothing.