Which GPS Unit to get??

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Which GPS Unit to get??

Post by JimmyB » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm looking to get my dad a GPS unit for his birthday in a few weeks. I've looked into them a little bit over the last year or two so I know what's out there. Just wanted to know what you guys are using and why you like or dislike it.

I've been looking at the Garmin - Oregon 450..... Anyone have experience with this one?

Any info would be great!
Shooter McGavin

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Re: Which GPS Unit to get??

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 pm

I use an Earthmate PN-20. Comes with Topo 7.0 you can do anything with it. Make maps of anywhere and put in the GPS. They've come out with a PN-40 with a biult in spot locater ( emergincy locater beacon) but I'm happy with my 20. Sure is cool seeing where u r with in 3ft in real time.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 am

i dont use them a ton, BUT 1st, i really like my garmin vista, it is pretty easy to use.

2nd: although i do like taht one, i think a cheap $100.00 garmin gps would serve my purposes just as well. i dont use them alot, just kinda as a back up.

3rd: i would maybe think about a RHINO, by Garmin( i think) we used them on my buddies elk hunt this year. and as long as a few guys have them , they are pretty awsome.

bo130
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bo130 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm

I second the DeLorme Earthmate. I work at a sporting goods store and have played with a lot of them i really like the features of the Earthmate but my favorite feature is the ability to get satellite imaging on the unit so you can easily orient yourself with groves of trees, trails, streams, whatever. however I have not used these in the field yet. I don't want to knock the Garmin at all, they are great units. my only worry would be generally touch screens can sometimes be touchy (no pun intended) for instance if your hands are cold or if you are wearing gloves. Just somethings to consider.