Scope issues

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
doeslayer32
Fawn
Fawn

Scope issues

Post by doeslayer32 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:52 pm

here's my deal this may sound really dumb but ahh heck here I go anyway the problem is that I'm really brike and cant afford to pay to have someone do this for me or even go out and buy a boresiter so does anyone out there have any good ways to level crosshairs accurately without all the fancy tools or a gunsmiths fees and also the same for boresiting a bolt action I just want to be on paper at 50yds to start and the last question I have always wondered how far out can you shoot before canting crosshairs effects accuracy significantly Thanks Chris
VEGETARIAN [OLD INDIAN WORD] FOR BAD HUNTER

THERE IS A PLACE FOR ALL OF GODS CREATURE'S .....RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY!!!!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:05 am

Remove bolt,pick a spot on a wall(as far away as u can),use a piece of tape,a tac ect.Set the rifle in a sturdy position and line the spot up by lookig through the barrel from the action end.Get it set on the spot and secure the rifle with sand bags,pillows,ect ect.now turn the scope to the lowest power and look through it,if the cross hairs arnt on the spot(they wont b,nobodys that lucky) turn your scope adjustment dials until they are.You will have to turn the adjusters in the opposite direction u want the crosshairs to move,try to look through the scope as you do this so u can see them moving in the right direction.Check though the barrel often to make sure its still on the spot u picked.Once you have these two lined up on the same target across the room you should be on the paper at 50 yards.A canted cross hair wont effect you poi if you sight it in that way but it will probably cause you to hold the rifle at an angle,since you naturally try to keep the vertical cross hair straight up and down when looking through it.I would loosen the rings and straighten it out before you do anything else.Secure the rifle on a flat surface and look at it from behind,square it up,THEn look through the scope and figure out if it needs adjustment.If you ahve a very small level bubble you can set it across the top adjustment turret on the scope to check to see if it is level,I just eye ball them.

doeslayer32
Fawn
Fawn

Post by doeslayer32 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:02 am

hey thanks nonya about the canting cosshairs part especially and everything else r u a guide or just very knowledgable??? I heard this from a buddy's old man the other day that you take your rifle and secure it in a rest with a bungee or something take a shot at 25yds or so an then you
adjust your crosshairs to the hole and you should be on paper at 100 what do you know about this method??? hey how big should my mark be on the wall like the size of a quarter or so???
as long as we are on this subject what is the rule of thumb for steep angle shots on a animal up and down if I'm thinking rite when shooting a bow aim a little lower at 10yds or less other than just let er buck

Thanks Chris
VEGETARIAN [OLD INDIAN WORD] FOR BAD HUNTER

THERE IS A PLACE FOR ALL OF GODS CREATURE'S .....RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY!!!!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:51 am

That method would work IF you hit the paper and IF you have the rifle in a vice so it doesnt move after the shot,the recoil alone would move the rifle and adjusting the crosshairs wouldnt get you very far.Anything large enough for you to see it on the wall THROUGH the barrel will work.Steep angle shots only become a factor at ranges well over 100 yards with a high velocity center fire,shooting downward is comparable to shooting at a shorter distance and you shouldnt hold over as much,shooting upward is comparable to shooting at a further range,the angle has to be steep to make a noticable difference and the range over 100 yards when shooting a high velocity hunting round.No I am not a guide,although I considered it once and ruled it out as a career as I couldnt stand to work all hunting season,I just grew up hunting and shooting and modifying rifles.The effect on bullet trajectory in a hunting round is way less than your steep angle bow shots,unless you plan to shoot 400 yards at a 45 degree angle you will probably never need to componsate for it. :222