Best External frame backpack for the money?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Hiker

Best External frame backpack for the money?

Post by Hiker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm looking for one that I can carry all of my supplies and camping gear for 4-5 days and still be able to use the frame to carry 100+ pounds of meat. So far I like these...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 273516485a
Last edited by Hiker on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Hiker

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm

I like the second link you posted one the best, but I don't know a lot about frames.

killerbee

Re: Best External frame backpack for the money?

Post by killerbee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:59 am

i love my Dwight Schuh pack from feildline. i think it runs about 140$. i use it 4-5 times a year for 5+/- day bakpack trips and it works great. i've used it once for an 8 day trip and it still worked great, i just had do do a little more external hooks to pack a little more stuff [ which was back when i first started and after do a lot of these pack in hunts most of that stuuf i didn't need or have upgraded , so i 'm sure i could go 8+days now with out hooking things on the outside] it is water proof, it has a composite external frame that is very comfy, it breaks down into a back pack, a fanny pack , a pack frame, or a whole pack in style pack. so it's very versityle and preety light for a pack. i 've used the burn out of it and nothing has broken or torn at all. i've had it for about 5 yrs so i'm not sure if the one they sale now is exactly like the one i have but i can say it WAS built great! i was looking a while back at them and i'm not sure if the outside is still a fleece or saddle cloth type cloth, it kinda looks like it is just a gore-tex ,cover so it would be louder. any way hope that helps any, it's worth looking at any way

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks for the feedback Brett and Killerbee. KB, I'll have to take a better look at the pack you mentioned. Anymore suggestions?
Hiker

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Jeff, I'm thinking about getting one of the Cabela's packs right now too. My buddy bought one earlier this year; he really recommended getting the Outfitter Extreme over the plain Outfitter.
The Badlands packs are highly recommended by the Eastman's guys, but I don't like the idea of an internal frame.
The Kifaru packs are also highly recommended, but I think they are way overpriced and I can't justify that kind of $$.
Bill

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks Bill. The more I read about it and the reviews it might be the ticket.
Hiker

Joe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Joe » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:37 pm

I dont know if it's the best one, but I love those Dwight Schuh packs from Cabelas. There are silent waterproof fleece, that offers both a fanny pack and an upper bag with a built in water bag. Also, both bags can quickly be detached from the high impact enduroflex frames. I wear the regular size pack for 3-4 day bivouac hunts where I want a light pack with minimal gear. The mega size pack has worked great for mew on 10 day wilderness elk hunts. I have owned both of mine for over 5 years and they have packed out several deer & elk apiece and still work great. 10sign:

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 am

Joe wrote:I dont know if it's the best one, but I love those Dwight Schuh packs from Cabelas. There are silent waterproof fleece, that offers both a fanny pack and an upper bag with a built in water bag. Also, both bags can quickly be detached from the high impact enduroflex frames. I wear the regular size pack for 3-4 day bivouac hunts where I want a light pack with minimal gear. The mega size pack has worked great for mew on 10 day wilderness elk hunts. I have owned both of mine for over 5 years and they have packed out several deer & elk apiece and still work great. 10sign:
this is the same pack i was talking about,great pack!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks Joe & KB. Do these packs have a place to hold a water bladder and hold it upright? When you guys are hauling out meat, do you just use the frame? how much meat will it haul, one rear elk quarter, 2 front quarters..etc.
killerbee, do you have the regular or the mega?
Hiker