GPS selection

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

GPS selection

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:45 pm

I'm looking at GPS units, and until a few days ago I knew nothing about them. After reading up on them, I like the Garmin GPSMAP 60
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

, and the Garmin Etrax Venture.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0049052

In the real world, what features are most valuable? I'm thinking extended memory, battery life, and downloadable maps would be a few. I'm greatful for any insight. Thanks.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

DeadI

Re: GPS selection

Post by DeadI » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:26 pm

I have the grey Garmin Etrex. I love it. It is just the black & white one but it is nice.
I love that downloadable maps but you don't get a lot of detail with them. The batteries keep their
charge pretty well. And it is fairly easy to use.

My boss has the map CS60 and the color is nice. But that unit is a bit out of my price range. Which ever unit you pick you will like it.
Deadi

ABert

Re: GPS selection

Post by ABert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 pm

I think it really depends on how you plan to use it. Where I hunt I know the lay of the land pretty well so I'm not to worried about maps. The absolute best feature I love is the way points. If I drop something far off the beaten path in the evening it sure is nice to plot where the critter is laying as I go back to camp for help getting it out. Much easier than trying to follow little flags at night, though I still put my tape up just in case. For hunting in unfamiliar territory I can see a real need for the map function. I've got a plain old Etrex and the only time I use it is to plot a way point for a place I want to find in the dark.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.