cheap spotting scope

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
cowboy6901
Fawn
Fawn

cheap spotting scope

Post by cowboy6901 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:43 am

Anyone know of a spotting scope under $200 that is worth getting.

heshen
2 point
2 point

Re: cheap spotting scope

Post by heshen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:48 pm

i had a leupold that wasnt too bad.. i sold it on ebay for around that.. check there.. Ive gotten spoiled now so in my opinion if you arent getting a quality spotter then it aint much worth buying.. Id look at a a vortex skyline.. its a good spotter and the price is higher thatn that, but for how much they are they are a great deal!!

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 pm

heshen wrote:i had a leupold that wasnt too bad.. i sold it on ebay for around that.. check there.. Ive gotten spoiled now so in my opinion if you arent getting a quality spotter then it aint much worth buying.. Id look at a a vortex skyline.. its a good spotter and the price is higher thatn that, but for how much they are they are a great deal!!
I just got some real glass for the first time in my life; hard to look through my $100 Bushnell spotters now ](*,) I have heard of people adapting binocs on to their tripods; anyone ever done this or know how?

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 pm

I would say save your $ and buy a good quality spotter. You will be much farther ahead that way. If you get a cheap one, you will try it and not like it then want to buy a good one, so you are out the initial investment. If you want something cheap, buy a Burris Fullfield II scope (which is not too bad) and get a free spotter. They are mediocre at best, but you can see through them. Since its free, you will not be out much when you want to upgrade.
Huge29 wrote:
heshen wrote:I have heard of people adapting binocs on to their tripods; anyone ever done this or know how?
Depending on the manufacturer of the binocs, they may offer an adapter. I know Vortex, Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, Nikon, etc and some others do. There are 2 basic types, one uses a tray type adapter and a strap that goes around the objective lens. The other is a screw mount that attaches to the focus knob. Do a google search on "binocular tripod adapter" you will find many hits. Pick the one you like.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:56 pm

I was looking at a Burris Land Mark 15-45x60mm for a friend Sportmans Warehouse had them for sale for $179.00.

I checked it out and believe it or not it was pretty decent for the money it was definately better than anything there in that price range and a little better than some of the spotters above its price range.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Cabelas is having a 4-hour sale This Saturday with a Barska usually $100 for $40 from 8am to noon; for $40 you can't go wrong until you can get a better one.

Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Post by Buck Fever » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 am

Like I've heard many times over, most guys and gals will buy three set of bino's, or your case spotters, before they realize the money and time they've wasted. Buy the best and don't look back. You will never have to purchase another in a lifetime. Plus you wont have to deal with the headaches!! :>/ Buy cheap and you won't be able to glass in the prime times (early morn and late evening). Save and buy the best!! :thumb IMO
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Buck Fever wrote:Like I've heard many times over, most guys and gals will buy three set of bino's, or your case spotters, before they realize the money and time they've wasted. Buy the best and don't look back. You will never have to purchase another in a lifetime. Plus you wont have to deal with the headaches!! :>/ Buy cheap and you won't be able to glass in the prime times (early morn and late evening). Save and buy the best!! :thumb IMO
I always tried to convince myself that I just did not need high end glass, I once used a friends Zeiss and I was actually not impressed in the least, older pair. I just got the Meoptas last week and WOW, very nice compared to the Swaros in the store zero difference except 50% more money counter guy said only in the low light does any difference become apparent. I would say go with the Cabelas brand that you can afford now and trade them in later for something else; I will be saving up for a while I reckon.

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:07 pm

"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 am

I have a KOWA 20 x 60 x 77mm that is in great condition. I sent it back to KOWA last year and had the eyepiece cleaned and the scope cleaned as well. I have the original soft case and the lens cover for the front. These were in the 900.00 range when new and are as good as any of the big name scopes out there. If you are interested in them, PM me and I will tell you more about the scope. They are going to be a little higher in price than what you are looking for in your first post, but you will be happy with the quality of this scope. Tom
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"