Hunts so far?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hunts so far?

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

So who has been out chasing Mule Deer yet this year? What's your thoughts whether good, bad, or ugly?

I'll be honest I'm not sure when I'll get out this year/fall. Took a pretty good crash on my Mtn. bike about 3 weeks ago that set me back and so I don't have even have a tag in my pocket yet. Still need 30 dedicated hours to fill. :)

But I'd love to hear how anyone else has done. I have a friend with a great tag, that had a fun but VERY frustrating opening weekend.

Any of these bucks shooters to you? Would you be happy with any of them?
Attachments
IMG_6711.jpg

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: Hunts so far?

Post by ridgetop » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 pm

I had a good time but I thought the weather was way to hot. We really need a good cold front.
I had these bucks at 80 yards but they scented me.

I'll share the bigger bucks on my other thread.
There's always next year

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 pm

I only made it out for about 3 hours opening morning. just checking the fieldsnear some private land I have permission to hunt and saw one neat buck get smoked. it was a 3 point on one side but just barley as he crab clawed about 2 inches on his G1 but he was about 18" tall and almost to his ears. The neat thing was his other side was cactused up with about 6 points. got to the property and looked over the spring and around the valley when a small 2 point walked to 20 ft and drank from the spring. he didn't care one bit that I was there. I let him walk as I still have 2 seasons after this one. but there was a buck on the ridge that must be a brother to the one i saw get harvested as he was a good 3 on one side and cactus out on the other. I never got close enough to see how good he was but I am thinging of taking my friends son up to put a stalk on him if either of us ever get any time off together.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Ill be getting up to the backcountry friday. I cant wait im so excited.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't have an archery tag, but I've been living vicariously through those that do... and some of stories I've heard have been great. Thanks for sharing.
MuleyMadness wrote:Any of these bucks shooters to you? Would you be happy with any of them?
Regarding the picture from the original post... I'd take the middle or bottom buck & leave the little guy alone. The big 2 point just looks cool & the 4pt has eyeguards (which would seal the deal for me). Regardless, either buck would be the biggest I'd have taken to date.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

I haven't been out yet, but saw a great buck at the market in Dorris Ca. Unbelievable mass and height. Got the blood pumping for when I get to go chasing in a couple months. As for the bucks, The big one is a done deal, the bottom buck would be in danger depending on the tag and if my daughter was there. If I was hungry, the little guy would be stew in the pot. --------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I went up to the wilderness for 5 days and saw tons of bucks and bulls. I bet i saw 15 good bucks but couldnt get close. I had a huge 6x6 bull at 50 yards but couldnt get a shot. Then this morning I went to a place close to my house for a quick morning hunt and stalked a nice 4x4 but to 39 yards and didnt shoot. Hopefully ill get one soon.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm

I hunted the archery OTC Mule deer opener in Arizona over the weekend and after five days I saw one good buck which I didn’t get a shot at but the surprising thing was only seeing a pair of fawns. That can’t be good for the future of the herd there.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Seen a lot of nice deer and a ton of elk for my first year ever hunting the north slope couldn't close on anything didn't realize how thick and hard that place is to hunt. Theres animals there but good luck spotting them before they spot u.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

therookie wrote:Seen a lot of nice deer and a ton of elk for my first year ever hunting the north slope couldn't close on anything didn't realize how thick and hard that place is to hunt. Theres animals there but good luck spotting them before they spot u.
The north slope is a tough hunt.

Brent - I'd shoot the middle one.

I went out on the Front. 13 bucks in 3 days. One 30" buck that out smarted me. On heavy horned 24" two point that I would have killed picked the saddle west of me and that was it. Several small ones were within range. I'm going to give it another try this weekend.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)