utah proposed shed hunting change

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Re: utah proposed shed hunting change

Post by skull krazy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Shed Crazy wrote:First I just want to say that i dont agree or disagree with the new laws. But I for one will do whatever I have to to hunt antlers legally. I do have to say one thing about new laws being made, If the states dont do it the feds will and that could mean closures and fees. Once an antler hits the ground on federal land technically it becomes federal property, just like arrowheads or fossils or even trees for that matter; you have to buy a permit to gather fire wood. Just something to think about. :-k
Good post shed crazy, but we all hope it won't come to this.
Noone wants to ban shed hunting and noones wanting to make laws so the state can capitalize from it.
Here's another little food for thought about the cost of the permit which by the way is FREE-
There are going to be a significant cost associated with these new laws.
Additional enforcement isn't free and the new signs that are being made up to place on the WMA areas aren't going to be cheap either, and then there's the cost of setting up, maintaining and monitoring the online course and making, printing the permits themselves.

And for the record.........we the committee voted FOR a $5 fee so these things could be paid for through the people that will use them, but the RAC voted it down knowing the public would go ballistic over $5.........seems they were right. ](*,)
Now the money will have to come from another entity. But in the end, when it got tossed BACK to the committee, we agreed on it as a whole to get this thing rolling.
Now IF the cost is higher than expected, we MAY see a small fee in the future to cover the cost, but the state already assured us they would "earmark" those funds to STAY in the DWR's funds, and NOT going into the general fund like the hunting permits do. :thumb
Don't let that scare you though, it was only "talk" and tossed around "just in case".
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

sawtooth
Spike
Spike

Post by sawtooth » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:14 am

I cant believe anyone is making a big deal out taking a short educational course. That dosent sound fun, but if it helps educate people I am all for it. That proposal sounds like good news to me.

digger
Spike
Spike

Post by digger » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I agree with ox and I don't need a lecture about it. we should be able to police our selves and this is not gonna stop the people that cant. every time we have to get permission to access our land we give up a little more right to that land. thank you for your guys hard work but every time you have to get another permit that is a loss of freedom. yes i will take the course but it will be done through clenched teeth.
if you get off the 4 wheeler you might see some deer

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:54 pm

digger wrote:I agree with ox and I don't need a lecture about it. we should be able to police our selves and this is not gonna stop the people that cant. every time we have to get permission to access our land we give up a little more right to that land. thank you for your guys hard work but every time you have to get another permit that is a loss of freedom. yes i will take the course but it will be done through clenched teeth.
Key word in your post is SHOULD. I agree, but reality has nothing to do with "should". :-k
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:37 am

digger wrote:I agree with ox and I don't need a lecture about it. we should be able to police our selves and this is not gonna stop the people that cant. every time we have to get permission to access our land we give up a little more right to that land. thank you for your guys hard work but every time you have to get another permit that is a loss of freedom. yes i will take the course but it will be done through clenched teeth.
Even i don't feel i "SHOULD" take this course and i helped draft the plan!
But i won't be clenching my teeth while doing it because even though i may already be aware of most the issues shed hunters CAN cause, i know i'll have a part in helping educate a few that may not.
I'm not above anyone else that hunts sheds just because i sit on the committee either, i have to abide by my own rules, and i will.

Digger-
The State is not trying to "take away your loss of freedom", they are trying to regulate the careless people that are.
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:27 pm

digger dont waste your breath! i think al gore got into there head! its too late for them now!!!just save yourself! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) lol just kiddin fellas!

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:55 am

sawtooth wrote:I cant believe anyone is making a big deal out taking a short educational course. That dosent sound fun, but if it helps educate people I am all for it. That proposal sounds like good news to me.
I agree. It really isn't a big deal. It won't bother me at all.

*ShedPredator*
2 point
2 point

Post by *ShedPredator* » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:05 pm

I have to say i agree with The Ox on this one, i myself do not think that the habitat is as delicate as they say it is. However myself i like to just grab a .22 rifle and just leave my vihicle and just head out walking i figured i find more shed's that way somehow and then you don't have those certain people out there that you will meet that will give you burn about riding off the roads, you just wouldn't have to deal with them but as far as the online coarse goes it sounds like BS along with the certificate.
"to small keep drivin..."

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:17 pm

*ShedPredator* wrote:I have to say i agree with The Ox on this one, i myself do not think that the habitat is as delicate as they say it is. However myself i like to just grab a .22 rifle and just leave my vihicle and just head out walking i figured i find more shed's that way somehow and then you don't have those certain people out there that you will meet that will give you burn about riding off the roads, you just wouldn't have to deal with them but as far as the online coarse goes it sounds like BS along with the certificate.
You don't THINK the habitat is as fragile as we say it is?
Man, ignorance sure is bliss!!

And you wonder why there are biologists and law enforecement? lol
This is EXACTLY why we are having the course put into place!! ](*,)
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't mind taking an ethics course to educate myself on the potential ills that could be created due to ignorance. I disagree with having to carry a card to pick up a shed antler. I have been intrigued with the idea of shed hunting. I'm not a shed hunter yet. Once I found a small two point shed when rabbit hunting. I'll be taking my young boys out this year to go rock hounding. If I find antlers while doing other activities and I don't have my "license" with me, I suppose I should leave a found shed where it lies? I don't think so. I also disagree with the proposed fees. A card this year may suffice. Next year it'll be $5 the following year it'll be $10 but you must first buy a hunting license. The next year you'll have to put in for a limited entry opportunity to shed hunt. I realize I'm exagerating a bit, but given the past management plans it could be a forseeable future. I sure hope not. As for now, I'd suggest taking the course and that's the end of it. No shed permits, no shed seasons.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."