MuleyMadness Roll Call

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: MuleyMadness Roll Call

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:30 pm

::wel to the Madness guys, stick around a while and share your passion for the outdoors past or present experiences and most of all enjoy the one of the best sites on the net.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

rider248
Fawn
Fawn

Post by rider248 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:29 am

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I'm here because I have been married to a hunter for the past 100 years :) And we have 2 boys we are currently old enough to hunt. The six of us will be heading to New Mexico during Thanksgiving because the older 2 both have drawn jr mule deer tags. The other 2 are only 5 and 7, so our jobs is glassing for the boys :) Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and so far I have enjoyed the site.

carp_slayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by carp_slayer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Grew up in Washington hunting blacktails and now I live in Northern California yet hunting blacktails again. I'm ready to head out West, well really east to start hunting mule deer. I've been checking out this site for a while and finally decided to register.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:50 am

::wel
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

childathletesdotcom
Fawn
Fawn

New member checking in

Post by childathletesdotcom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Per suggestions on the sticky post in the elk forum, I'm introducing myself here.

My name is Chad - I'm 40, and got hooked on hunting just 3 years ago. I'm half Utahn, half Californian (lived half my life in each) - but until recently, have been a city boy. I've recently fallen in love w/the outdoors. Fishing & hunting mainly - but in general I just love to be up in the mountains.

Unlike most people I know here in Utah, I don't have relatives or friends who hunt. Seems that every acquaintance I know who hunts has a big group of family they hunt with, and usually a secret spot or connections to private land etc. It has been extremely difficult for me, despite the vast resources on the internet, to break into this hobby and successfully fill tags.

Haven't yet even had an opportunity to shoot my gun. In my 3 years, I've seen 1 elk - that's it. That's with many days in the field each year, hiking into some very remote areas (trying to avoid the crowds on public land), using ATVs to get deep into areas, using my spotting scope, getting up at 3 or 4 am & going all day till dark, etc.

While I love being outdoors in the mountains, I am getting frustrated that I never seem to see animals. I've never filled any of these tags - never even shot my gun (or my bow, which I carried around w/me last fall chasing elusive bucks not too far from Kamas ... very fun, almost got to shoot at one .... ).

I'm sort of handicapped as a hunter due to being color blind. I love & respect deer and elk in large part due to their amazing ability to stay hidden & out of range etc. But for me, it is much harder to spot them than for most people. In the off season, a fishing buddy is constantly spotting them in the hills near pk city, and even with him pointing at them & telling me where to look, I have a hard time seeing them due to my red-green color blindness. Frustrating to have that defect & now fall in love w/this sport ](*,) .

This year, I plan to take my 9 year old son up with me to hunt spike elk. If you know of any specific places that allow atvs (we have rented a side-by side) & where I can be away from the crowds & have a good chance at a spike, please let me know. I really want him to see animals and have a great experience so that he'll want to go again w/me & so that it will develop into a tradition. I'm already too late w/my 15 yr old - he simply has no interest in coming w/me & I'm not going to force him.

I'm slowly beginning to build up my points to someday draw out a LE tag for elk ... when I do, I hope to take a nice bull w/my bow, but will switch to rifle if I can't.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated big time. I'd find a way to return the favor or even pay w/cash if someone tips me off to a specific place to hunt that produces. I've learned that there are certain LE units that are more desireable than others ... monroe, pahvant, dutton, book cliffs, - but I have no idea where in those areas to hunt. They all cover huge parts of Utah that I know nothing about, so anyone who can get specific with me would be a huge help. I'm also open to finding a hunting buddy or group & would pay for the Rhino/Razor rental etc. I'm also open to paying a trespass fee for the right access if that will get me away from the crowds & into more animals.

Thanks a ton for keeping up this forum & posting such awesome pics of great animals.

Chad

Harley
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Harley » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Born and raise in Colorful Colorado. Have hunted all my life and and am headed out this weekend. I'm old but still act like a kid when its time to get outdoors. Not that old really 58. Been surfing the photo topics awsome pictures. Oh by the way I just signed up

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the post but I've been reading the forum for a while. I am an avid hunter and fly fisherman. I started out hunting rifle, then moved to archery when the landowner's association for the area where we own a cabin placed a primitive weapon only rule. Now I'm a muzzleloader guy. The northern region is my home, and I'm particularly familiar with the Ogden Unit.
I have also spent several years learning the "ins and outs" of the Utah big game drawing system and have been compiling data since 2006. Several of my friends have suggested that I make my spreadsheets available for a reasonable price. They can be found on https://www.utahbiggameodds.com along with some scouting and success pictures from me and my friends.
I look forward to sharing my success and continue reading yours. I'll also help out in any way that I can with info.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Hunter4Life
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hunter4Life » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Im 27 and live in southeastern NM. I love to rifle hunt and i just started shooting a bow. I hunt alot of different animals but I love to mule deer hunt! I found this site a couple of weeks ago and have really enjoyed reading the stories and looking at all the great pictures. I dont know alot but i will try to give any help i can. I know some areas here in southern NM so if u have any questions i would be more than happy to tell you what i know.

tsimp121
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tsimp121 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:45 am

Hi guys, thanks for the great site!
A little about me....I am originally from Washington, where I hunted Mule Deer and Elk, as well as upland and waterfowl. I joined the AF ten years ago, and have been on the move since. Currently I reside in South Carolina about 25 miles w/nw of Charleston. These days most of my hunting in SC is focused on Whitetails. I have traveled to TN and AL to hunt ducks, but that is about it. I have also gone back to WA to hunt mulies with my buddies, and am supposed to be there right now but instead I got hooked for a deployment to the middle east.

I have cruised the site for some time now, just not as a member. This is a great site, and I hope to contribute in any way I can! :thumb

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:10 am

::wel to the Madness guys.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK