Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
sewing
Spike
Spike

Re: Deer Hunting the Henry Mountains – Utah

Post by sewing » Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm

NotEnufTags wrote:Well said Sid.

I never tire of seeing the mass on the buck you took. The mass tricks the eye into thinking the tines aren't as long as they are. It's a great 200" class buck. :thumb

Have you had it mounted yet. I think I speak for all when I say we'd love to see a picture of your mount.

Did you get any tags this year? General season?

Good to hear from you again.
He's supposed to get paroled from the taxi this month. I'll post some pics for sure. Can't wait to get him back home.

Me and my daughter (first year hunter) did get the Elk/Deer combo tag. After last year I certainly can't complain. :thumb

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I will try to update the post if I remember anything else. I may post the lat/lon of a couple good spots, but it's really good all over down there as long as you hunt hard.

Even if you don't draw down there you should go check out the scenery one of these days.

I would love to film/photograph a hunt down there for someone, someday. That would be a lot of fun. If they payed my way of course ;).

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the awesome post! I'm sure I won't get the chance to hunt down there for a LONG time but its nice to see a fellow hunter helping out others so they can have an awesome experience like you did. Says a lot about you and thanks for being a great example of what a hunter should be. Really nice buck by the way and congrats!! Can't wait to see some more pics. :thumb

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Great post Sewing....it's nice to see someone post information like this without being prompted. If I had any info on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, I'd be happy to share as well...unfortunately, I haven't had that opportunity yet....got your post bookmarked though just in case! :thumb Congrats on the buck too!

Sako
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Sako » Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Nice post. I spent many days on the mountain last year. There just are not that many 200" deer on the mountain. I did see 2 that were way over, but they were no where near their summer locations when the hunt opened. We had two people only scout the entire time, my brother and a friend came down for the opener. The funny thing is on these sites everyone hacks on the guides for using so many people to scout. There were camps down there that were gigantic, three to four times bigger than any guides camp. One of the wardens that checked our buck told us two hunters were in a fist fight over a deer. I guess they did not know who shot it.

I will say this, I spent to many days to count on that mountain. Mossback boys were there most of the time I was. They were very courteous, and I never saw one of them do anything unethical, or illegal. In fact they measured our buck for us and were happier for my dad than he was.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Sounds like a great experience I hope I can get hunt like that someday how many points did it take you? If I draw I'll be calling you....lol
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 am

Sako wrote:Nice post. I spent many days on the mountain last year. There just are not that many 200" deer on the mountain. I did see 2 that were way over, but they were no where near their summer locations when the hunt opened. We had two people only scout the entire time, my brother and a friend came down for the opener. The funny thing is on these sites everyone hacks on the guides for using so many people to scout. There were camps down there that were gigantic, three to four times bigger than any guides camp. One of the wardens that checked our buck told us two hunters were in a fist fight over a deer. I guess they did not know who shot it.

I will say this, I spent to many days to count on that mountain. Mossback boys were there most of the time I was. They were very courteous, and I never saw one of them do anything unethical, or illegal. In fact they measured our buck for us and were happier for my dad than he was.
When I talked about 10-20 buddies I was talking about the regular folk. Not the guides. I didn't mean to come off as anti-guide or scout at all. It's a legit profession, and I didn't see any wrong doing down there. That's too bad about the fist fight, but I can see how that could happen down there.
Mularcher wrote:Sounds like a great experience I hope I can get hunt like that someday how many points did it take you? If I draw I'll be calling you....lol
I don't usually say because peeps get upset. I was REALLY blessed to draw out. :thumb

Sako
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Sako » Thu May 13, 2010 4:46 pm

I was not talking about you, just some of the camps down there. I did actually witness during the first cow buffalo hunt, 17 people on horse back pushing little canyons for one tag. I was amazed that many people were there. The craziest thing about that mountain was the number of elk hunters. I have spent years on that mountain and have seen 5 elk.

Very nice deer!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

That's cool if you only had a couple points that gives us lower point guys hope..
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am

Sako wrote:I was not talking about you, just some of the camps down there. I did actually witness during the first cow buffalo hunt, 17 people on horse back pushing little canyons for one tag. I was amazed that many people were there. The craziest thing about that mountain was the number of elk hunters. I have spent years on that mountain and have seen 5 elk.

Very nice deer!
Thanks! I wondered if there were elk down there at all. Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't see one scouting or during the hunt.
Mularcher wrote:That's cool if you only had a couple points that gives us lower point guys hope..
Sorry, I really didn't mean to be a jerk. I have just had people get physically upset after they asked and I told them. But if it could give you some hope............ I had 3 points and it was the first time I put in for the Henrie's. [-o<

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon May 17, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah I have had a couple of people upset with me that I drew with nine points and they had fifteen and didn't draw. I'm big enough though that they don't try to get physical with me. My brothers friend drew a few years ago with just his application and no points. There's nothing wrong with a little luck now then. I think that it's cool that you got that tag because of the pictures and stories that you have shared with us.

Thank you.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.