Food plots...

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ArrowAndBow
Fawn
Fawn

Food plots...

Post by ArrowAndBow » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:11 am

I have 35 acres in the Colorado mountains, elev. 8500', which backs up to BLM and National Forest land. I set a stand in a Spruce tree (most Pines were wiped out by the Mtn. Pine Beetle) and have shot a couple deer. The trail cam is full of does but the bucks I see are generally promising. What I'm contemplating is how much of my limited Whitetail knowledge I can apply to Muleys. I feel like my sets are properly positioned along known trails and pinch points.

What can I do to keep the does, and subsequently the bucks, on my property longer?

My first instinct is to provide more feeding options but I'm not exactly sure what that would look like. I have a few small areas that could hold food plots but what to plant?

Any other thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks -Jeff
Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgement

ABert

Re: Food plots...

Post by ABert » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Before you do any planting, check the state regs as far as planting food plots. Most western states, CO included, are very strict about using bait to hunt over and a food plot just might meet that definition. I'm not sure if it does or not.

If it is legal, contact the local state biologist/game warden/forest ranger/etc. They will let you know what is best to plant in your area to help hold the deer.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

ArrowAndBow
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Food plots...

Post by ArrowAndBow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:01 pm

I had heard something about that, too. Essentially, crops (sugar beets was the example I heard) must be harvested. I'll effort that one....

Do Muley bucks create scrape lines like Whitetail?
Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgement