Packing out a deer?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
harvey
Spike
Spike

Packing out a deer?

Post by harvey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Hope yall arn't getting tired of my questions. When you pack out a muley, how do you do it? Here in michigan, I have always field dressed the deer and drug them out, sometimes as much as a mile. Then I hang them in the barn for a few weeks before skinning and processing. I was thinking of keeping the hide off of a muley to have it tanned fur on. What is the normal process that guides or all yall take when you get a muley? as far as cutting or quartering and skinning?

hoytshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Packing out a deer?

Post by hoytshooter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 pm

you let them hang for a few weeks (???) wow i always get them to the prosesor ASAP. as far as packing them out it depends on how far away from the wheeler/truck you are most of the time it is quarter them out and strap them to your back. for me at least :thumb
it's in my blood

harvey
Spike
Spike

Post by harvey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:55 pm

if the nights are going to be cool enough to get the meat down to about 45 degrees we let them hang about three weeks. I believe it helps tenderize and flavor the meat. I have never yet had one spoil. The only thing is that you need to wipe the rib cage dry every few days. I leave the hide on and that keeps the meat airtight, no flies that way. Also some people throw a little black pepper into the cavity this also keeps the flies off. Later I process them myself. Costs to much anymore to have someone else cut them up and when they do it they use ban saws and throw bone marrow and tallow all through the meat. I bone everything then cut it up by hand. No silverskin, tallow or marrow in anything i process. My wife said she didn't eat venison when I met her, she said it was to strong. After she tried what I process she eats it all the time. Just about every dish we serve that is meat is venison.

Griff
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Griff » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:21 pm

I typically drag my muley back, I have only had to quarter a muley once.
It helps if there are two people to drag, makes it much easier. If you plan on tanning the hide, remove the hide and pack out the meat in quarters. I also process my own kill, the quality of the final product is much better when it's under my control.

I was raised in Wyoming and now live in Iowa, I had never hung my meat for weeks to "age" the meat until living in the widwest. It is very common for folks to hang their meat with the hide on for up to three weeks before processing east of the rockies. This seems to be a common practice in the east and southeast as well.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:11 pm

We field dress and get the animal back to the vehicle by any means possible and then hang and skin immediately. We've got some custom made game bags that we will then tie around the body. Once we get back down to town my brother brings his to the processor and my dad and I will quarter ours up, or more, and ice them down in the coolers for the trip home.

I've heard of many different ways to "age" the meat, or to not do so. I'd say just got with whatever has worked for you.

I will throw this tid bit in, though. If you get an elk and you somehow get it out whole (it is possible) skin it as soon as possible. The shoulders and hind end will hold heat like you won't believe and the meat will start to rot in just a couple of days.

We once left a few elk hanging overnight in sub zero temps with the hides on as it was a long day/night getting them back to camp. Went out the next morning when the temp got up to about 20* and started skinning. The legs and rib cages were frozen solid, the neck was somewhat cool but the shoulders and rump were still warm.

I'd guess the same would go with moose but I've never heard of anyone getting one of them critters out of the woods in one piece.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:58 pm

I've always had horses to get mine out. I go to the roughest areas I can find. I did have a problem 3 years ago when I had a horses legs give out on me. (Zig Zagging) She rolled down the hill and antlers flying everywhere. Thank heaven for the oaks that stopped her at the bottom. I was in tears thinking about what I was going to walk up too. (dead horse) I was so thankful she was alright. Now I bone them out and pack out when in an area thats too rough. lol
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:17 pm

I had no idea that folks hung deer that long, let alone with the hide still on! I guess you learn something new every day.

I get my deer out whichever way is easiest. I have drug most out whole but have quartered and deboned them before also.

We also cape them out immediately. It's always easier to get the hide off when the animal is warm anyway. We do hang them for a few days, depending on the temps during that particular season. Also, after caping out the deer and before we allow it to hang for a while we cut out any bloodshot meat, rub the carcass down in a light vinegar water solution to keep bugs away, and prop open the rib cage and front "arm pits." I have always had pretty good results as far as the quality of meat after doing all of this and I see no reason to stop at this point.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 am

I've dragged most of mine. Don't worry Harvey. Let your guides know what your hoping for. They'll take care of you. If your hunting a private area, they may take a four wheeler in and bring your animal out whole. It'll just depend on how rugged the area is, but my guess is that you'll not be too far from an ATV trail if it's a private ranch.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 am

It depends on how far I have to go. If its not to far i'll quarter it out. If its a ways I'll de-bone to get rid of unwanted weight.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Livn-Lg
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Livn-Lg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 pm

I have always dragged out my deer. If need be I will place them on a tarp and drag them if there is a ways to go. We immediated skin and de-head the deer when we get home. We will wash and clean the deer inside and out then wait for a couple hours forthem to dry some befor bagging them with Elk bags. Depending on the temp we will let them hang for up to 5 or 6 days. If it is too hot we will deliver them to the butcher and make sure they leave em hang for at least a week prior to processing. I have always quartered and ribbed my elk as I have never been in a spot to take it out whole.
2006 Hoyt Trykon XL

Hesitation, The difference between immortality and kleenex