Old School Hunters Code

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Old School Hunters Code

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:27 am

Great post!!! 10sign: Killer the word your looking for is Camaraderie and that is what it is all about!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:33 am

sneekeepete wrote:Great post!!! 10sign: Killer the word your looking for is Camaraderie and that is what it is all about!
thanks sneekee! i fixed it-- i guess " h-oo-cked - on- fo- nt-ics" dont work for everyone :not-worthy lol

castnshoot
Spike
Spike

Post by castnshoot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

I too am new here and really like the sight. :thumb :thumb :thumb .

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Great post...and lots of comments I agree with. Best of luck to all of you this fall. And huntin for a big one...I'm looking foward to some pics and a great hunting story.
Last edited by dahlmer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:21 pm

AWESOME THREAD!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

Lookin 4 a Big 1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Lookin 4 a Big 1 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Great stories!!!

Stories like these are filled with great examples of a word that we all hold dear
to our hearts..... Sportsmanship. The people on this thread have the ability to change the direction that hunting is going. Inspireing stories create change in attitude. I would like to challenge every one who reads this thread, to write an example of when they have helped someone in a jam or when you were helped while hunting. I think that we might be inspired, entertained, and in effect, might even plant a seed that might then change the thought process of someone who might otherwise not realise the importance of making a difference based on our actions towards our fellow hunters.

Can We collectively change the passion and direction of our sport?

Call me old fashion or even call me "Old School", but I think it is so.
If you think of it, all of the positive ideas that were created to make an impactual difference in our lifes started with one or a small group of people with a good idea.

Sorry if I seem a bit too passionate on this issue. I just think that in the old days a B + C Score was created originally to honor the animal harvested. Somewhere along the line, some missguided wealthy people, use it to claim a self imposed superiority over other Hunters. Some Guides use is as self promoting standard to reap monatery gain. When I hear stories of guides using their pickup trucks to block access to a public canyon so that other hunters don't have an equal chance at the same monster bull that they do, It bothers me. Out hike me, fine; Out think me; good for you; Get luckier than me; Atta Boy. But when you block the canyon so that you can take some rich guy (who flew into town the night before) and guarantee that only he has an opportunity to harvest the animal. Give me a freakin break. This guy did not scout an area, put in all the sweat and hard work to pattern an animal. He only makes more money than you and I do. Then that same Hunter is on the cover of some Hunting magazine, as if to insinuate that he is somehow a better hunter than the rest of us based on the same animal that we were denide an equally and fair opportunity to harvest. How can you claim a self imposed principle of harvesting your animal by a standard of "Fair Chase", if you deny other hunters an equal chance of fairly chaseing the animal in question.

I'm not talking about all people who use a guide to hunt on private land; to them I say good for you; you earned it and I hope that you harvest a dandy and have the time of your life! I'm not talking about the guides who help the afore mentioned hunters enjoy the hunting experience of a lifetime. I'm talking about the hunters and guides who lose themselves in the process and the sport. Those who forget that sportsmanship and a genuine interest in the well being of our fellow hunters, is just as important as harvesting an animal. I think you all know what I mean. I'm talking about the people who are lost in the pursuit of a self glorified hunting status, to the point that they will not even take the time to help you and I out when we are caught in a position of need, weakness, fear and at times even danger. Because after all, if they stop to help us...... They won't get up the canyon early enough to block everyone else from entering it.

I guess I'm done for now, thanks for your patience......

Let us decide collectively that it starts now, with us. We will create change. Change that will benefit our children and the sport of hunting. =D> :thumb =D>

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:30 am

Looking 4 a big 1 I agree with you whole heartedly that many hunters and guides get lost in the SCORE hype instead of the EXPERIENCE. For this reason I never want to have any of my kills scored. They are all trophies to me and that is what matters.
It is good and refreshing to see the enthusiasm this post has brought about on this site. It gets me even more excited to get home and share this falls experiences with my family and friends and eventually with the rest of you when I am able to post again!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Lookin 4 a Big 1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Lookin 4 a Big 1 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 pm

I read a few posts about questionable outfitters and shortened hunts and it made me wonder....
What's the true agenda? Money.... Power.... or Deer Herds?
It sure aint about spending 9 days hunting with your family, sharing time together in the outdoors.
Last edited by Lookin 4 a Big 1 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Muley_73
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Muley_73 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 am

Lookin,

First off I want to agree with some of your points. =D> I really believe that animals harvested outside of the state set seasons should not be elidgable for the B&C. I also agree that some hunters lose sight of anything but their personal success. Funny thing is some have tons of money and some have none.

However I have some different views on the subject also. :-k I guess when push comes to shove I have to say I like the dollars they put up that go toward our herds. I sure do not have that kind of money and I glad that those that do like hunting enough to throw huge amounts of money at it. If getting their face on a mag is what makes them tick, I'm ok with that. I have grown up and still spend alot of time in south central Utah. Land of giant bulls and posse outfitters. I personally have never had a bad experience with any of the outfitters. I've heard lots of stories, but it is always a friend of friend or an uncles cousin or a guy I work with that has these run ins. I have never personally talked to an individual that can tell me a first hand horror story. (???) I'm sure they happen, but not near what the urban ledgend would lead you to believe.

Lastly, I think we are beyond the 9 days in the field with family and friends. :>/ This is sad, but true. Our focus has to be on improving our overall deer numbers. :thumb If deer numbers increase we can discuss length of season and buck doe ratios and everything else we worry about. We have managed the herds so poorly until now that the time has come to make some major sacrifices, like 3 days seasons or even closed units. One more thought on overall numbers. If the deer numbers were much higher and we had more big bucks, how much would the Gov tag sell for. Think about that for a min, if more big bucks were available would a hunter pay as much for a tag. Would a posse be needed to find that needle in a haystack? I am telling you if we focus on increasing overall deer numbers we could really change our hunting or the better! We just have to be willing to sacrifice some now.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:07 am

Muley_73 wrote:I really believe that animals harvested outside of the state set seasons should not be elidgable for the B&C.
+1

I have never though about that before, but it makes perfect sense to me.