Salmon River Steelies

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Salmon River Steelies

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Just got back from 4 days on the Salmon River. The run this year is INCREDIBLE! We stopped counting at 20 fish. We also caught way more wild fish than we have ever caught before. We never caught anything bigger than 27", but the fish fought great and it was as action packed as steelhead fishing gets.-------shooter
Attachments
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG (42.04 KiB) Viewed 8964 times
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG (41.9 KiB) Viewed 8964 times
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Salmon River Steelies

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Wow, outstanding...what a blast.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:58 pm

that is awsome! fishing for steelhead is bar far my favorite fishing! great job- great fish!

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:04 pm

I was spoiled living on the west coast as I was able to fish for Salmon and steelhead 15 minutes from my house. Now, I have to drive for five hours to fish, but I love the Salmon river. What a wild place. Pretty cool when bighorn sheep feed down to the water right across from where you are fishing. Also to think that the fish you are catching have traveled over 700 miles from the ocean is pretty amazing.-----shooter

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Post by sawsman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Nice fish shooter, good job. Looks like you had a blast.

So what did you catch them on? I caught some in Washington state years ago using a plain ole' Kastmaster lure.. fun fish to catch.

Thanks for sharing.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

We found that Roe and fresh water clams were the ticket. Thats great info only found on this site cuz not to many people were catching fish and we were killing them. We thought about giving out the secret, but decided against it as we might try to sneek back up there......Hammer time baby.------shooter

RoTuN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RoTuN » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:00 am

Thank you for reviving some childhood memories in me! I used to live on the Salmon river, as a child we had a hunting outfit, our base was a few miles down from Shoup. I was home-schooled by my Mom until around noon everyday then the rest of the day was mine. I always ended up fishing the Salmon river which was my backyard. Deer, goats, bighorn would all come down across from me to water. I miss it tremendously.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:41 pm

I bought a darned good hamburger at shoup for lunch on the third day we were fishing. I'm sure that you know my friends as they have a cabin down by the tree farm and own 93 outdoor sports in Salmon. This trip is a yearly tradition for us and I too cherish the time I get to spend in the north fork canyon.-----shooter

RoTuN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RoTuN » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 am

Unfortunately I haven't seen the are since 1985, my sister however took a drive up from Payson and spent a week up there. She said it had changed alot since we were there. The only things along the road at the time were Shoup, The Ramshead Lodge (owned by the Jackson family at the time) and the trail bridge. Looking through Google Earth I can see alot of additions since my time. Maybe I'll get some treble hooks & thread and make a trip next year.

RoTuN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RoTuN » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:23 am

Springville Shooter wrote:I was spoiled living on the west coast as I was able to fish for Salmon and steelhead 15 minutes from my house. Now, I have to drive for five hours to fish, but I love the Salmon river. What a wild place. Pretty cool when bighorn sheep feed down to the water right across from where you are fishing. Also to think that the fish you are catching have traveled over 700 miles from the ocean is pretty amazing.-----shooter

Ahh yes, nice to know that is still happening. When I was there fishing everyday during the hunting seasons there would be Bighorn on the other side, an hour later the deer would come down and drink. Lots of mountain goats and lions in the area too.