Three great groups for Shooter

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Three great groups for Shooter

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 am

Those are some awsome 300 yard groups, Shooter. Your online name is very fitting.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am

One quick question if you wouldn't mind.

When you are shooting at the range at those yardages what type of rest do you use if any?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:54 pm

I have several different set-ups depending on where I'm shooting. These groups were shot from the old portable bench that I made in metal shop in High School 20 years ago. I use a Benchmaster one-piece rifle rest on this bench as it is easy to use and supports the rifle well while I fine adjust my zero. Now that this stage is behind me, I will shoot the rest of the time before season from the Harris bipod that I will be shooting from in the field, I will also practice from shooting sticks as well as some offhand. I have a two piece bench rest set from Sinclair that I use for that type of shooting, but as far as hunting rifles, I love the Benchmaster. They are the self-proclaimed "Cadillac" of rifle rests, and I agree with them. When proving rifle performance and loads, I want to take as much of the human element out of the equation as I can and this rest does it for me. The only downside is that I can never blame my equipment for missed shots!-------------SS
Attachments
Bench Rest set-up
Bench Rest set-up
My old junky bench that works great
My old junky bench that works great
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:50 pm

I will have to get me something like that one day. Just using a sandbag for the front and my arms for the rest.

Went out to the range at Lee Kay Saturday to sight my gun back in after getting the muzzle brake put on.

Nowhere near the kind of groups that you are getting but with the wind that day I'm pretty happy with my results at 200 yards.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.